View Poll Results: Should Apple Make iMessage cross Platform?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 41.67%
  • No

7 58.33%
    Hello iMore,

On windows there is Skype (Cross Platform), Google has hangouts (cross platform) and Blackberry as BBM (Cross Platform) ... Heck even Samsung offers Chat On which is also cross platform. Should apple make iMessage cross platform? Do you think that it will help with iDevice adoption or just make it that much easier for people to switch to other platforms? Take the poll and shout out below.
    11-29-2013 12:34 PM
    This is a tough one maybe I'm only thinking about myself but I like when I send a text to someone I just met and it ends up going thru as an iMessage and you instantly find out there using an iPhone

Also the security of iMessage is a big plus not sure how Apple can maintain that going cross platform?

Sent from my iPhone 5
    11-29-2013 12:43 PM
    This is a tough one maybe I'm only thinking about myself but I like when I send a text to someone I just met and it ends up going thru as an iMessage and you instantly find out there using an iPhone

Also the security of iMessage is a big plus not sure how Apple can maintain that going cross platform?

Sent from my iPhone 5
    Great questions ... I would think they could figure it out in regard to encryption, I suppose another question would be how awesome would it be if you could send a text from the iMessage client on your Mac?
    kataran likes this.
    11-29-2013 01:07 PM
    Id love to coz the other day i sent my friend a pic and she couldnt open it i asked why she said she has a super cheap phone that cant receive a pic, so i asked her to go to upgrade to iphone
    11-29-2013 04:40 PM
    Id love to coz the other day i sent my friend a pic and she couldnt open it i asked why she said she has a super cheap phone that cant receive a pic, so i asked her to go to upgrade to iphone
    Upgrades are great an iPhone is better but does her plan support it?

Sent from my iPhone 5 soon to be 5s Gold 64GB
    11-29-2013 05:02 PM
    Upgrades are great an iPhone is better but does her plan support it?

Sent from my iPhone 5 soon to be 5s Gold 64GB

She said she will ask her carrier and of course she goes for iphone,she was so excited when i got mine.
    kataran likes this.
    11-30-2013 02:43 AM
    No.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10 <-----like the last fart--the last desperate fart of a dying corpse
    12-12-2013 04:54 AM
    12-12-2013 07:30 AM
    Both iMessage and FaceTime need to be cross platform
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-12-2013 08:41 AM
    Heck, it's already cross-platform. I can easily send a text message to anyone without an Apple smartphone.......Seriously though, no, they shouldn't make it cross platform, in my opinion. Some things should remain proprietary, in my opinion, especially when there are a lot of cross-platform messaging services already available.
    12-12-2013 09:43 AM
    Heck, it's already cross-platform. I can easily send a text message to anyone without an Apple smartphone.......Seriously though, no, they shouldn't make it cross platform, in my opinion. Some things should remain proprietary, in my opinion, especially when there are a lot of cross-platform messaging services already available.
    Hummm, I use to think like this also with BBM.......I was WRONG. Look what happened when BBM went cross platform. WOW
    12-12-2013 09:45 AM
    Hummm, I use to think like this also with BBM.......I was WRONG. Look what happened when BBM went cross platform. WOW
    True, but Apple is not in the same predicament as Blackberry, and an argument can be made that people like me installed it for the sake of nostalgia and it sits on our home screens unused or rarely used. The question now is how long will BBM cross-platform success last?
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    12-12-2013 09:57 AM
    My first thought is no it shouldn't be cross platform.
    12-12-2013 11:23 AM
    Honestly if it was the full version of BBM that released at the same time, I think we'd feel completely different.
    12-12-2013 09:12 PM
    If there is no reason to do it, I don't think they should. They don't sell services like Google and iMessage isn't a big selling point for them like BBM is for BlackBerry... It would just be an unneeded addition to their portfolio that would cause them money...

Sent from my RM-941_apac_sea_203 using Tapatalk
    12-12-2013 09:26 PM
    It doesn't matter if you want it or not, Apple will never ever make one of their own apps cross platform EVER!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
    03-19-2014 08:20 AM
    NO and just to make sure NO...Some things need to stay Native and exclusive. Does anyone in here who are ex BB fanboys like me and I see many people who are and how excited we were with BBM for iPhone. How many of you are still using it. Leave iMessage alone and Apple will have a Native text app that everyone can agree on.
    03-21-2014 01:27 PM
    True, but Apple is not in the same predicament as Blackberry, and an argument can be made that people like me installed it for the sake of nostalgia and it sits on our home screens unused or rarely used. The question now is how long will BBM cross-platform success last?
    This is exactly almost to the word with my answer above to this whole question and I did not read this post until just now.
    03-21-2014 01:29 PM
    definitely not!!! it's awsm the way it is and it is unique ^_^ it's part of apple and imo it should stay tht way <3

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    03-21-2014 05:34 PM
    Interesting, I guess that would depend on how many BBM buddies one has and how many still use BBM. I've had as many as 40 at one time or another, now I'm down to 10 and use BBM everyday on my Note3. I do understand that Apple is no where near the predicament that Blackberry is in, but if iMessage were to go cross platform and charge for it (on other platforms) they could make a lot of money (IMO).....I apologize for not responding sooner
    03-21-2014 06:39 PM
    Definitely not.This is part of Apple and should remain do.
    hydrogen3 likes this.
    03-11-2015 04:31 AM