iMessenger Vulnerability

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I was reading an article about Apple denying the iMessenger vulnerability that someone claimed it has.

Then just a day later, this was posted to YouTube: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EbqZnTKDVU0&desktop_uri=/watch?v=EbqZnTKDVU0

What's your thoughts on iMessenger? Is it really secure enough for you to use? What's your opinion on iMessenger for the Enterprise?

Do you think that Apple loses potential costumers when security leaks (like so) are exposed?

Looking forward to some replies from iMore...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's FUD... spreading fear, uncertainty, doubt... I trust Apple far more than I trust google with sensitive information...

By the way... we get it.... you like your blackberry, and not much else...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's not so much an iMessage vulnerability as it is a trade off for having the ability to mirror. Any device capable of mirroring is also, inherently, capable of being mirrored in this fashion...it's not a fault of Apple's products particularly as much as it's simply being able to wirelessly throw your smart phone's function onto another device (TV, computer screen, tablet, etc). If you think back on computer mirroring (something done since the invent of computers really), people have been able to simply and easily monitor computer activities in this same fashion (whether it be full mirroring or just monitoring of certain softwares like email or instant messenger).

So do I think Apple loses potential customers because of this "security leak"? Not at all. Should people be worried about buying an iPhone because of this information? Again, no more so than any other device, given it's not at all limited to just the iPhone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In addition to the first two replies, I'm not sending trade secrets or other sensitive information via iMessage so I'm not at all concern about the vulnerability. As for Apple losing potential customers because of it, I doubt it. Other than the techies, customers don't care about that stuff. Look at the stuff that people (kids & adults alike) post on Facebook, Vine, Instagram and YouTube.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think his argument was more in line with the iMessage function being used as an enterprise option...the reality is, in this day and age of technology, there are no fully "safe" ways of communicating, because there are people sitting around literally waiting for the newest form of communication, licking their chops to figure out how to break it down and find it's holes. Once they do that, they sit back and wait some more. It's the hacking way of life...the desire to have a more open ecosystem leads directly to the ability for malicious individuals to also get your stuff.

"iOS is too closed off, not open enough, not customizable enough..."

...and then people want to b*tch and complain about how vulnerable something is, LOL!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think his argument was more in line with the iMessage function being used as an enterprise option...the reality is, in this day and age of technology, there are no fully "safe" ways of communicating, because there are people sitting around literally waiting for the newest form of communication, licking their chops to figure out how to break it down and find it's holes. Once they do that, they sit back and wait some more. It's the hacking way of life...the desire to have a more open ecosystem leads directly to the ability for malicious individuals to also get your stuff.

"iOS is too closed off, not open enough, not customizable enough..."

...and then people want to b*tch and complain about how vulnerable something is, LOL!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

​No doubt...:)

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
It's not so much an iMessage vulnerability as it is a trade off for having the ability to mirror. Any device capable of mirroring is also, inherently, capable of being mirrored in this fashion...it's not a fault of Apple's products particularly as much as it's simply being able to wirelessly throw your smart phone's function onto another device (TV, computer screen, tablet, etc). If you think back on computer mirroring (something done since the invent of computers really), people have been able to simply and easily monitor computer activities in this same fashion (whether it be full mirroring or just monitoring of certain softwares like email or instant messenger).

Ahhh... I understand.

Sorry, my technical knowledge in some fields is pretty grim.

I like how iMessenger has the ability to message between your Mac/iPad/iPhone all seamlessly. Including how you can pick up where a conversation left off easily when picking up another device, with the previous chat history there as well. I love this about Apple products!!!!

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
By the way... we get it.... you like your blackberry, and not much else...

Did I say anything negative? Or did I rather question iOS user's opinions on such topics? I have iOS and use iMessenger. Perhaps I don't use it as often as you, but I still do.

I am sorry that you and I seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot. I respect the fact that we have a common interest in mobile technology. I enjoy reading everyone's different views in which I believe will help myself have a greater understanding.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Did I say anything negative? Or did I rather question iOS user's opinions on such topics? I have iOS and use iMessenger. Perhaps I don't use it as often as you, but I still do.

I am sorry that you and I seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot. I respect the fact that we have a common interest in mobile technology. I enjoy reading everyone's different views in which I believe will help myself have a greater understanding.

I'm going to be frank with you bud...you've got 2 posts on this forum and both of them, off the line, reflect a critical tone about Apple...the first was a comparison thread between the iPhone 5S and the Z30 (where you repeatedly argued "x" feature is better than Apple's like feature). Here's the thing, when you come to someone's sand box and you immediately start kicking sand, you have to understand the immediate and justified insinuations people are going to have of you. You seem here because of an agenda, and while I personally kind of get a kick out of bickering with people who bring content like you have to iMore, some people don't...and I can't blame them.

That said, perhaps partaking in some of the other threads in our community where we more neutrally discuss the products and features at hand would lend to your offering that you are just here to share a common interest in tech. I myself still think you're here for specific reasons, but like I said before, I don't mind it, gives me something to do when I'm bored.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
We could also swing this a number of ways if you wanted to... (though I know this doesn't support your agenda of trying to point out an Apple flaw on an Apple product forum)

Canadian Government Warns BBM PIN-PIN vulnerable - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

...or, what about everyone's favorite...WhatsApp.

WhatsApp Not So Private | BBM & WhatNow? | seek you, signal!

C'mon, Sean... don’t try to confuse the poor guy with facts... he has an agenda... just leave him be... :)

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to be frank with you bud...you've got 2 posts on this forum and both of them, off the line, reflect a critical tone about Apple...the first was a comparison thread between the iPhone 5S and the Z30 (where you repeatedly argued "x" feature is better than Apple's like feature). Here's the thing, when you come to someone's sand box and you immediately start kicking sand, you have to understand the immediate and justified insinuations people are going to have of you. You seem here because of an agenda, and while I personally kind of get a kick out of bickering with people who bring content like you have to iMore, some people don't...and I can't blame them.

That said, perhaps partaking in some of the other threads in our community where we more neutrally discuss the products and features at hand would lend to your offering that you are just here to share a common interest in tech. I myself still think you're here for specific reasons, but like I said before, I don't mind it, gives me something to do when I'm bored.

When in that thread did I argue 'x' feature is better than Apple's like feature?

Other than when I said I prefer the Z30 aesthetically. That in itself is completely opinionated anyway.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
When in that thread did I argue 'x' feature is better than Apple's like feature?

Other than when I said I prefer the Z30 aesthetically. That in itself is completely opinionated anyway.

You'll have to forgive me...I seemed to confuse your Z30 vs. iPhone 5S thread with the "tech savvy" thread, but the points remain exactly the same. Please don't try and pretend like you're here to neutrally and in an accepting manner, discuss technology as friends would. You've made it very clear in several posts that you feel Blackberry, as a device, has more depth than the iPhone...and you're doing this on an iPhone forum. The agenda is clear here, at least be honest and admit to it, lol.

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
You'll have to forgive me...I seemed to confuse your Z30 vs. iPhone 5S thread with the "tech savvy" thread, but the points remain exactly the same. Please don't try and pretend like you're here to neutrally and in an accepting manner, discuss technology as friends would. You've made it very clear in several posts that you feel Blackberry, as a device, has more depth than the iPhone...and you're doing this on an iPhone forum. The agenda is clear here, at least be honest and admit to it, lol.

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I think BlackBerry suit my needs better than iOS. I also think iOS have good points too, which is why I have iOS products as well.

I come to iMore because it is apart of Mobile Nations. I own more iOS than Android or Windows, which is why I frequent iMore more than Android Central or WPCentral. Mobile Nations incorporates people who use BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone, webOS and even iOS, so feel that I am able to go to other forums and discuss similarities and differences between said ecosystems. The Crackberry forums have a massively different culture to iMore. There are many iPhone and Android fans that reside there that don't even have any BlackBerry products. Kevin Michaluk is even a big iPhone fan as well.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
There's not much good information going in and out of my messages. Not interesting enough for someone else to care. People will always be able to mirror things though, it's not just iMessage. Why does everyone love to target Apple?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I think BlackBerry suit my needs better than iOS. I also think iOS have good points too, which is why I have iOS products as well.

I come to iMore because it is apart of Mobile Nations. I own more iOS than Android or Windows, which is why I frequent iMore more than Android Central or WPCentral. Mobile Nations incorporates people who use BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone, webOS and even iOS, so feel that I am able to go to other forums and discuss similarities and differences between said ecosystems. The Crackberry forums have a massively different culture to iMore. There are many iPhone and Android fans that reside there that don't even have any BlackBerry products. Kevin Michaluk is even a big iPhone fan as well.

Here's the thing man...I'm also a person who joins forums and blog sites because I'm simply interested in what the forum/blog subject matter is all about. For example, I'm a part of a few Porsche websites, but do not own a Porsche...I absolutely love the cars, hope to own one one day, and have a car that is quite comparable to several Porsche models in my M3...but I don't go into their sandbox and kick up sand, and if I see something completely outrageous that reflects something I DO know or have investment in, I'll offer my opinion on the subject, and correct any inaccurate information...but I don't look for fights by trying to get people to justify their prides and joy to my own, because that is looking for trouble.

When you do that, expect this kind of treatment.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
In addition to the first two replies, I'm not sending trade secrets or other sensitive information via iMessage so I'm not at all concern about the vulnerability. As for Apple losing potential customers because of it, I doubt it. Other than the techies, customers don't care about that stuff. Look at the stuff that people (kids & adults alike) post on Facebook, Vine, Instagram and YouTube.

This.

The only thing anyone will catch me talking about on iMessage is what's for lunch, what the weather is doing or what my hockey teams are up to.

Besides, the government is probably already watching us in ways we could never even imagine. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR