My girlfriend is on vacation to Europe (I'm in California) for two weeks. When she's at her hotel, she has WiFi and thus can iMessage with me.

When she's not at the hotel, she doesn't have iMessage access and doesn't have data/roaming/4G access, so if I send her a message, it shows up on my end as being sent to her as a text message, not an iMessage.

When she gets on WiFi, do the messages I previous sent that showed up on my end as text messages all of a sudden show up on her phone? Or will she not see those until she has data/roaming/4G back on the mainland here?
    07-07-2013 05:05 PM
    I don't know the answer but if there's question as to whether or not she receives them...why not use email?
    07-07-2013 05:15 PM
    She only uses work email and made a point of saying she wasn't going to check it while on vacation. She even deleted the Outlook app from her phone.

I don't want to be the needy guy, "Did you get my messages?" especially since they're nothing of real importance, just sharing and maintaining contact.
    07-07-2013 05:17 PM
    FYI: There is a similar thread via the following link. http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5/257...ng-iphone.html

Anyway, she should have received your messages especially if she has a data / Wi-Fi connection. The iMessage read/receipt feature is useless unless your girl has it enabled on her iPhone. If she's not responding, and I mean this respectfully, she may want to only focus on her vacation and time away from the norm.
    07-07-2013 05:37 PM
    FYI: There is a similar thread via the following link. http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5/257...ng-iphone.html

Anyway, she should have received your messages especially if she has a data / Wi-Fi connection. The iMessage read/receipt feature is useless unless your girl has it enabled on her iPhone. If she's not responding, and I mean this respectfully, she may want to only focus on her vacation and time away from the norm.
    She initiates iMessages with me every night when she's back at the hotel and using WiFi.

I'm just wondering if she ever receives the messages I send when at the times she doesn't have WiFi service, as those messages are sent to her as TEXT messages and text messages go across data/4G service that she doesn't have outside of the US.

Do you know the answer to that question? I'd like to focus on the functioning of texts abroad, not whether she's avoiding me (she's not, she iMessages every night).
    07-07-2013 05:45 PM
    If she has a data connection, she should be getting your messages.
    07-07-2013 05:59 PM
    I'm just wondering if she ever receives the messages I send when at the times she doesn't have WiFi service, as those messages are sent to her as TEXT messages and text messages go across data/4G service that she doesn't have outside of the US.
    I am not sure what you mean by she doesn't have data/4G outside of the US. As long as she has her phone turned on and it is capable of making calls from the country she is in, she is capable of sending and receiving texts.

Have you asked her if she has her cell turned off or the Do Not Disturb activated when she is not on wifi?

PS: sorry I didn't read your first post. I am pretty sure that if it was sent as text message she will get them as text message and not as iMessage when she is back on wifi.

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk
    Last edited by charlyee; 07-07-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    07-07-2013 06:05 PM
    If they were sent as text messages, no iMessages, she will not receive them until she is back on cellular service.
    CDG and Good OL MC like this.
    07-07-2013 06:19 PM
    My guess would say yes she is receiving them unless she has international blocked from her cell provider .or cell is turned off . Her phone will roam while in Europe if its on But also if it is roaming she should be getting data also And be charged accordingly.. It's hard to say maybe she had it blocked so she don't get charged for international or she could simply turn airplane mode on and then turn wifi on so it's basically a iPod .
    Your phone sends as a text because her phone does not have data connection for whatever reason. Once that happens your phone send as a text so my guess is if that is the case then no she is not getting the "texts " and won't until she has cell service turned on.

I would just ask her when u iMessage her and see what she did to her cell plan before she left the states.

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    CDG likes this.
    07-07-2013 06:27 PM
    Also once the text is sent it will not come to her as a iMessage later ..
    If you want it too turn off the setting in your phone to send as text .. Or iMessage her email address that is associated to her phone and then it won't default to a text and she will receive Them when she has a wifi connection

CDG likes this.
    07-07-2013 06:30 PM
    I am not sure what you mean by she doesn't have data/4G outside of the US. As long as she has her phone turned on and it is capable of making calls from the country she is in, she is capable of sending and receiving texts.
    She has turned off data and roaming. Therefore, she only has access via WiFi.

PS: sorry I didn't read your first post. I am pretty sure that if it was sent as text message she will get them as text message and not as iMessage when she is back on wifi.
    But, that's just it: TEXT messages don't come across on WiFi. They come across data/the phone line.
    07-07-2013 06:38 PM
    She has turned off data and roaming. Therefore, she only has access via WiFi.

But, that's just it: TEXT messages don't come across on WiFi. They come across data/the phone line.
    I think we are talking about two different things here, one is data roaming and the other cell service.

I realize she has turned off data roaming which I do as well but what about the phone itself? Has she turned her phone off, or turned on Do Not Disturb, or put it in Airplane Mode? Then yes she is not receiving your texts and will not receive them until she has her cell signal back or turned off Do Not Disturb. I often turn on DND when i am overseas, since can't hear the phone anyway when i am out and about. In this case however she will get your texts as soon as she shuts off DND.

As others have said text messages will not get converted to iMessage when she has WiFi.

Does that make sense?

07-07-2013 06:48 PM
    Also once the text is sent it will not come to her as a iMessage later ..
    If you want it too turn off the setting in your phone to send as text .. Or iMessage her email address that is associated to her phone and then it won't default to a text and she will receive Them when she has a wifi connection

Duh! Totally forgot to do that! I will do that from here on out.

I have a strong suspicion she's going to get about 10 TEXT messages once she lands back in the States and turns her cell/data service back on.
    07-07-2013 06:56 PM
    That's why I use Voxer. I can send and receive voice and text messages, plus pictures to people anywhere in the world, and it's there for them when they get back on wifi.
    07-07-2013 07:01 PM
    I think we are talking about two different things here, one is data roaming and the other cell service.

I realize she has turned off data roaming which I do as well but what about the phone itself? Has she turned her phone off, or turned on Do Not Disturb, or put it in Airplane Mode? Then yes she is not receiving your texts and will not receive them until she has her cell signal back or turned off Do Not Disturb. I often turn on DND when i am overseas, since can't hear the phone anyway when i am out and about. In this case however she will get your texts as soon as she shuts off DND.

As others have said text messages will not get converted to iMessage when she has WiFi.

Does that make sense?

Yes, it makes sense.

She has "Cellular Data" and "Data Roaming" turned OFF. She ONLY has access to WiFi, and therefore can only iMessage, email, and web browse when she's at the hotel (or some other spot) with WiFi.

I had forgotten about the thing where you can turn off sending as SMS when iMessage isn't available. That pretty much solves my question from here on out, as that way she'll get my iMessages once she's back on WiFi.

I'm just wondering if what went through on my end as text messages will ever get to her. It sounds like she's going to get them all at once when she lands and turns her Cell Data back on.
    07-07-2013 07:02 PM
    That's why I use Voxer. I can send and receive voice and text messages, plus pictures to people anywhere in the world, and it's there for them when they get back on wifi.
    Is that an app? I'll look into it. Thanks.
    07-07-2013 07:03 PM
    Yes it is, and she will also be required to install it on her end. The wife and I use it to communicate on our iPads, I also have it on my HTC One, and my son has it on his Nexus 7. He is also in Cambodia. I also have a few friends and acquaintances that use it.
    07-07-2013 09:47 PM
    Text messages are sent over the same connection that voice calls are made. So her data connection and wifi would have no impact on this
    07-16-2013 07:40 AM