I don't have an answer for you but I'm having the exact problem. Up until the last update to iOS 9.1. I too share the same account with my daughter and we got around the issue of her seeing my texts and vise versa by her using IMessage and I use the regular texting. We share the same cloud account because I like to share photos, apps and music.

I'm having all the issues you are, including only being given the choice to use email addresses for iMessages. Under send/receive it will only let me add more emails not phone numbers. I've tried everything. I read the instructions Apple provides but like you, mine are all grayed out. Good luck because I'm following this thread hoping we both can get some answers.
    10-24-2015 04:57 PM
    I don't have an answer for you but I'm having the exact problem. Up until the last update to iOS 9.1. I too share the same account with my daughter and we got around the issue of her seeing my texts and vise versa by her using IMessage and I use the regular texting. We share the same cloud account because I like to share photos, apps and music.

I'm having all the issues you are, including only being given the choice to use email addresses for iMessages. Under send/receive it will only let me add more emails not phone numbers. I've tried everything. I read the instructions Apple provides but like you, mine are all grayed out. Good luck because I'm following this thread hoping we both can get some answers.
    You don't want to share an iMessage account with anyone. That causes problems. You and your daughter need separate iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's. You can share the iTunes ID if you wish. You can share photos with iCloud Photo Sharing.
    10-24-2015 05:25 PM
    Hi,

So I was having an issue with my Mac not even showing my phone number as an option to "Start New Conversations From" in the Messages app (on the Mac). My iPhone was already set to my phone number and all seemed fine (on the iPhone).

I tried the "Add Email Address" option on the Mac, but I typed in my phone number - instead of an email address.

And then I was given a series of popup prompts on my Mac and then the iPhone.

I had to select an email address on the Mac, but my phone number finally showed up as an option to "Start New..." on the Mac. That's good enough for me.

Hope this helps.
    12-02-2015 01:35 AM
    All,

This was so obscure - I get this happening especially as an upgrade or something that changes. I think if you've tried everything else on this forum and it hasn't work I'll give you this to try.

On your iPhone
    1. Go into settings->messages
    2. Click on send receive (in my case it showed my number and it was greyed out)
    3. I had to sign in here with my iCloud Id

On your Macbook or iPad
    1. Go into iMessage
    2. Click on preferences->accounts
    3. select your iCloud account or log into it if you signed out
    4. If you don't see your phone there - then click add email
    5. Type in your phone number

This two step process seemed to fix it for me. There have been occasions when just shutting off iMessage or rebooting my mac fixed it - but after an upgrade on your iPhone or on your mac i would recommend these steps.

I hope this helps - this forum was helpful for me and helped me find the solution that worked for me - so kudos to everyone that posted!

Kaylee
    12-22-2015 11:31 AM
29 12