iMessage issues

tmlbatt

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I am using an iPhone 4, and I keep my cell data turned off. when I use iMessage with a friend over my wifi network it sends just fine, but if I turn my wifi off and send them a message as text any message they send me does not come through until I turn my wifi back on. Is there any advice here?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am using an iPhone 4, and I keep my cell data turned off. when I use iMessage with a friend over my wifi network it sends just fine, but if I turn my wifi off and send them a message as text any message they send me does not come through until I turn my wifi back on. Is there any advice here?

Go to Settings - General - Cellular and then make sure that "cellular data" is turned on.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I want the cellular data turned off, my question is, why does it not revert to SMS as it should

When cellular data is turned off, you won't be able to send SMS. You must be connected to the cellular network for SMS. iMessage is the only way to message over WiFi.

tmlbatt

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I will say you're wrong there, I may not know as much about the iPhone as you guys here, but I was sending SMS for almost an hour while I was away from my wifi, with cellular data turned off.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I want the cellular data turned off, my question is, why does it not revert to SMS as it should

If you're initiating the conversation to the recipient's Apple ID, I don't *think* the iMessage will convert to SMS.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I'm beginning to think that iMessage has new bugs.

Forget about my MacBook Air- never mirrors what is on my iPhone & iPad.
But lately, my iMessages are not mirroring on my iPhone & iPad. This was flawless until recently.

Anyone else?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

But lately, my iMessages are not mirroring on my iPhone & iPad. This was flawless until recently.

Anyone else?

It's been working like it normally does for me. I get near simultaneous alerts on my iPhone, iPad & MacBook when they are all on at the same time and the conversation is mirrored throughout, however, if one of the devices was not turned on during an iMessage conversation and I decide to turn it on, the entire conversation is delivered to that device but not necessarily in sync. Some parts are out of order.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

Anyone else?

It's never worked right on my Mac. It's always starts a separate conversation and the crossover is never seamless. It's not a big deal, but its sad that this is one of the few things that just don't work as seamlessly as we would like.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
If you're initiating the conversation to the recipient's Apple ID, I don't *think* the iMessage will convert to SMS.

Yep. That's correct. If you aren't sending messages to a mobile number, they don't default to SMS. Email addresses only work with iMessage.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
It's been working like it normally does for me. I get near simultaneous alerts on my iPhone, iPad & MacBook when they are all on at the same time and the conversation is mirrored throughout, however, if one of the devices was not turned on during an iMessage conversation and I decide to turn it on, the entire conversation is delivered to that device but not necessarily in sync. Some parts are out of order.

The out of order just happens on my MBA.
But on the iPhone & iPad, I can delete a thread & at times it doesn't delete on the other device.
It's just squirrelly.
I've signed out & back in on both devices (iPhone & iPad) & restarted both as well.
Just disappointing.

Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The out of order just happens on my MBA.
But on the iPhone & iPad, I can delete a thread & at times it doesn't delete on the other device.
It's just squirrelly.
I've signed out & back in on both devices (iPhone & iPad) & restarted both as well.
Just disappointing.

Good Luck

Oh I understand. iMessage is not perfect, by any means, but Apple would make a lot of people happy if they could get iMessage to sync across devices as smoothly as email. We shouldn't have to turn on a device and still see an iMessage conversation that has already taken place and especially if the conversation has already been deleted. Still, it is more of a pity than a nuisance to me.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh I understand. iMessage is not perfect, by any means, but Apple would make a lot of people happy if they could get iMessage to sync across devices as smoothly as email. We shouldn't have to turn on a device and still see an iMessage conversation that has already taken place and especially if the conversation has already been deleted. Still, it is more of a pity than a nuisance to me.

I think it's something they are working on. Unifying the phone number and email address was a good step but I think it'll require more. When we start moving to email addresses for phone calls and texts, which is coming soon, it'll help even more.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

That is true, you have to make sure you are sending the sms to a phone No. not other apple id (like email).

Sorry, I will say you're wrong there, I may not know as much about the iPhone as you guys here, but I was sending SMS for almost an hour while I was away from my wifi, with cellular data turned off.

I agree with you here, you don't need data to send a sms, it's like with regular phones. I can do it with no wifi and no data.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think it's something they are working on. Unifying the phone number and email address was a good step but I think it'll require more. When we start moving to email addresses for phone calls and texts, which is coming soon, it'll help even more.

I'm sure they are, too. I can't see Apple not improving it especially when they heavily promoted it and iCloud.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro