I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the following problem:

Each time I lose cellular coverage, my iMessage seems to deactivate itself. On some occassions the reactivation works, on others it doesnt.

I get the error message:
    Your carrier may charge for SMS messages used to activate iMessage.

Any tips on how to fix this?
    I know its definitely not a network issue, as both my wife and brother also have iPhone 4S on the same network and dont have this issue.
    11-16-2011 05:00 AM
    Maybe they're not losing cell coverage when you are. iMessage only uses data, and you will fall back to sms if there's no data connection. It's behaving correctly, so the bigger question is - why do you lose coverage so often?
    Fausty82 likes this.
    11-16-2011 06:30 AM
    I have checked that their phones also lose coverage.
    I lose coverage in 'normal' places - underground parking lots, subway, elevators etc ...
    11-16-2011 06:32 AM
    Laurent who is your carrier?

If it's VZW do a *228 option 2
    11-16-2011 07:59 AM
    Alli is right. iMessage is working properly when you lose coverage.
    11-16-2011 08:18 AM
    FYI: with VZ dial *22899 - it cuts out the waiting to pick option 2
    11-16-2011 09:27 AM
    I have checked that their phones also lose coverage.
    I lose coverage in 'normal' places - underground parking lots, subway, elevators etc ...
    IMO, subways and elevators aren't "normal." You're being restricted by tons of concrete and steel. Never having been on a subway myself, I can't speak for coverage there. I get excellent service with Verizon where I am but if I get into the elevator by my office, I lose signal. If I go deep into the pit of the hospital on the basement floor, I lose signal.
    11-16-2011 09:34 AM
    Nobody listens to laura Do you work in my hospital? Same issue here but we finally got VZW in the basement.......I know you from CB.......
    11-16-2011 10:09 AM
    Nobody listens to laura Do you work in my hospital? Same issue here but we finally got VZW in the basement.......I know you from CB.......
    Same me, just different username at CB.

I work in Memphis but I think all hospitals are the same as far as coverage goes. My office now is a bat cave in the middle of the hospital, but Verizon works.
    11-16-2011 04:47 PM
    I work in Radiology (LEAD) and lots of it. Kills reception.....thanks to repeaters it helps......
    11-16-2011 06:16 PM
    No phone coverage might mean no Internet connection also for that duration to u... I MSG works with Internet :-)
    12-13-2011 08:02 AM
    settings -> messages -> toggle "send as SMS" to "OFF" will always stay on imassage and not switch to SMS
    12-13-2011 04:44 PM
    settings -> messages -> toggle "send as SMS" to "OFF" will always stay on imassage and not switch to SMS
    Doesn't help if you have no connection, since it still requires data.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
    12-13-2011 04:52 PM
    when I lose coverage my imessage doesn't ask to reactivate though I know that much.. its a seamless transition
    12-13-2011 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD