Can you text internationally for free with iMessage?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I am wondering if there is a way to figure out WHO ALL out of my Phone book have iMessage / iPhone?

Then I'd message them on iMessage instead of WhatsApp or SMS (Preference order: iMessage > WhatsApp (I can see who all are on my whatsapp) > SMS)

Initiate a text message via the Messages app and enter the recipient's phone number. If the number turns 'blue' then that person has an iOS device with iMessages enabled. However, if the number remains green, the text message will be sent via SMS.

tgjb

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If you refuse to pay SMS, why not sending an email?

=> It's free, fast and multi-platform (more reliable if not iCloud). You can write only some words or a complete book. It is no more complicated to attach pictures, movies, or a document...
Finally, the person who can receive an iMessage, have for sure also an email set on the device...

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the U.S., and use iMessage to talk to an iPhone-using friend in Australia fairly frequently. It almost always works, but occasionally a message will be sent as a normal text message. It seems to happen whether I'm using 3G or WiFi. It may have to do with the receiver's connectivity, I suppose. It's a rare occurrence, but it is still something to keep in mind.

Edit: And actually, I just received a message as SMS, and then received the same message as an iMessage. I guess technology isn't perfect, though.

Same here' I'm in the US and imessage a lot with someone from Australia, so far I've had about two messages send as sms, pretty consistent..

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
iMessage allows you to send unlimited text, photos, videos, locations, and contacts using Wi-Fi or cellular data. That statement came from Apple's website and can be viewed HERE.

Just be warned, if you are using cellular data while roaming internationally, you could be racking up huge data charges...

I just returned from 2 weeks in Ethiopia... and as long as I was on wifi, I could do just about everything I wanted - surfing the net, texting, emailing, FaceTime, etc... but I turned ON airplane mode and then activated wifi to insure NO data roaming charges.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I just returned from 2 weeks in Ethiopia... and as long as I was on wifi, I could do just about everything I wanted - surfing the net, texting, emailing, FaceTime, etc... but I turned ON airplane mode and then activated wifi to insure NO data roaming charges.

Great tip Fausty,
Tks
Good Luck

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
This is what's cool about iMessage now I can message ppl internationally with no extra charges like family in the states and Netherlands

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a friend in dubai and I know her number. I want to send her an imessage buy don't know how. What other symbols or numbers do I have to add to her number to send it

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend in dubai and I know her number. I want to send her an imessage buy don't know how. What other symbols or numbers do I have to add to her number to send it

Does she have an iPhone running iOS 5 or later? Does she have iMessage enabled on her device? If yes, then the number you have for her in your contact list should turn blue when composing an iMessage to her. Simply compose the message and then send it.

Victoria Keener

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
If it sends as an SMS because my friend overseas, perhaps, isn't using Wi-fi, will they still get that message even if it is sent by a text message or should I send it again (using the toggle to only have it send as an iMessage)?

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
If it sends as an SMS because my friend overseas, perhaps, isn't using Wi-fi, will they still get that message even if it is sent by a text message or should I send it again (using the toggle to only have it send as an iMessage)?

Wifi or an international data plan will both is iMessage. No data plan or wifi will use text.

mpsully10

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I understand that its free when connected threw WIFI, but is it free for the state side number to txt you back being im out of the country? Basically what I don't want to happen is me txt my friend a 100 times and then him responding and then him have a thousand dollar cell phone bill?? Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73