Curious:

I have a few people in my Address book that had an iOS device, and thus used iMessage at one time or another.

A few of them have since switched to another device. If I send them a message from an iOS device, how can I force it to send the message via SMS\Text immediately versus waiting for it to try iMessage first, then eventually sending as a SMS\Text?

Thanks in advance

Ivan
    11-11-2011 02:02 PM
    Curious:

I have a few people in my Address book that had an iOS device, and thus used iMessage at one time or another.

A few of them have since switched to another device. If I send them a message from an iOS device, how can I force it to send the message via SMS\Text immediately versus waiting for it to try iMessage first, then eventually sending as a SMS\Text?

Thanks in advance

Ivan
    try deleting the thread and sending as phone number instead of email if its not.. I am not sure if this will fix the issue but I would think it might..
    11-11-2011 02:13 PM
    Thanks for that tip. I did try that prior, and still have the same issue. I bet it takes AT&T \ Apple a while to realize that the user is not using an iOS device.
    11-11-2011 03:23 PM
    Thanks for that tip. I did try that prior, and still have the same issue. I bet it takes AT&T \ Apple a while to realize that the user is not using an iOS device.
    this actually seems like a pretty major flaw in Imessage.... I never thought about this happening but without user lists this cant be prevented it looks like
    11-11-2011 05:27 PM
    As soon as you hit send and the message appears in the list, press your finger on it and you'll get some popup optims, one is send as SMS.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
    11-11-2011 05:30 PM
    Also, look at your address book, and see if their cell number is listed as iPhone or mobile. I don't actually know if that triggers your phone into trying iMessage first, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
    11-11-2011 08:31 PM
    iMessage is triggered by the phone # with iOS 5 ... I've had no issues of it waiting to chose
    11-12-2011 10:15 AM
    ...thanks, I'll try that.

As soon as you hit send and the message appears in the list, press your finger on it and you'll get some popup optims, one is send as SMS.

11-12-2011 12:26 PM
    ...thanks. But, since I use GMail\Exchange, the mobile number is in the mobile field, and not the iPhone field.

Also, look at your address book, and see if their cell number is listed as iPhone or mobile. I don't actually know if that triggers your phone into trying iMessage first, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
    11-12-2011 12:27 PM
    ...there is no issue with waiting. But, I want the system to simply know that this number is no longer an iOS\iMessage number, hence send immediately as SMS\Text.

iMessage is triggered by the phone # with iOS 5 ... I've had no issues of it waiting to chose
    11-12-2011 12:28 PM
    There isn't a way to change it.
    11-12-2011 01:01 PM
    ...thanks, I'll try that.
    Welcome! It seems to be the only solution, for now.

11-12-2011 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD