Hello,

I have an odd problem. I frequently message 2 people using the Messages app. We all have iPhones on iOS5 and we all have iMessage turned on. 90% of the time, messages come through as iMessages (blue bubble), but occasionally, a message will come through as an SMS (green bubble) for no reason.

We all only have one phone number (each) and one Apple ID (each) associated with our individual phones, pretty standard set up. I can't think of any other explanation except that perhaps the iMessage server has been down intermittently, causing the messages to go through as SMS instead.

Thoughts?
    11-08-2011 08:57 AM
    If there is a drop in the data connection it will automatically send as an SMS (if it is enabled in settings). It happens to me all the time when I am texting/iMessaging in the Metro and I go underground. It's supposed to happen that way, unless you turn it off in message settings (there is a "Send as SMS" option that you can toggle off).
    11-08-2011 09:04 AM
    Yea mine does that a lot too.
    11-08-2011 09:47 AM
    That happens to me when the person I am texting has their phone turned off. But yes, if the data is spotty, that can happen too.
    11-08-2011 09:56 AM
    This goes straight to the iMessage part of the iOS 5 review.

AnandTech - Apple iOS 5 Review
    11-08-2011 10:13 AM
    Would this also happen when I'm just sitting at home where I have wifi? Because this is where and when it happened. I just guessed it was an iMessage server issue.

Thanks for the responses guys!
    11-08-2011 02:03 PM
    Would this also happen when I'm just sitting at home where I have wifi? Because this is where and when it happened. I just guessed it was an iMessage server issue.

Thanks for the responses guys!
    If the other person has a spotty 3g/wifi connection, then that would explain it. If the other person has a solid connection, then it could be a server thing....
    meemster likes this.
    11-08-2011 02:57 PM
    Yes I agree with the rest this isnt a bug but a feature this is how it was designed to be seamless with text and imessage
    meemster likes this.
    11-08-2011 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD