Unable to use iMessage on de-activated 3GS?

Coffeegrower

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Is there any reason iMessage shouldn't work on a de-activated iPhone? I upgraded to the 4S, and gave my 3GS (running iOS 5) to a friend, who will use it as an iPod touch. Where I have on/off toggles on the settings screen for Message, his shows "waiting for activation". Any ideas?

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Is there any reason iMessage shouldn't work on a de-activated iPhone? I upgraded to the 4S, and gave my 3GS (running iOS 5) to a friend, who will use it as an iPod touch. Where I have on/off toggles on the settings screen for Message, his shows "waiting for activation". Any ideas?

I think it needs to be activated so push notifications will work. If you have an inactive AT&T SIM I think that will work.

Srenit

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
any correct and helpful answers to this issue? I'm in the same boat with deactivated 3GS, just using as iPod and iMessage just keeps saying "waiting..."

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
You need to make sure you change the "receive at" fields in settings to just your email address. If you leave the phone number checked, it'll keep requesting activation.

Srenit

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You need to make sure you change the "receive at" fields in settings to just your email address. If you leave the phone number checked, it'll keep requesting activation.

I see that it is still trying to verify my phone number but it's grayed out so I do I remove?

TFausett

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I am having similar problems I have a 3GS unlocked on TMobile and everything has been verified phone number and email address. But it won't send the message any ideas?

jonj125

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I no longer have att but i have a deactivated sim card. So i tried to put that in my deactivated 3gs but imessage still wont work. I tried with out the im and it still says waiting for activation. It used to work before but i put it on airplane mode and it has not worked since then. What can i do?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner