i actually just started to use imessage because everyone i knew just upgraded the software for some reason in the last couple days. i know the message says delivered when you send it but how do you know they viewed the message? does delivered mean the message got sent to the phone and its there or does delivered mean they read the message you sent?
    10-20-2011 12:22 PM
    Under the settings for Messages the recipient of your message has to have the Send Read Receipts option turned on. By default it is turned off.
    10-20-2011 12:27 PM
    also does imessage have a different text tone than a regular text message? can you make imessage have a different text tone than a regular text message?
    10-20-2011 12:28 PM
    so then what is the purpose of the delivered message? just means it went to the phone?
    10-20-2011 12:29 PM
    so then what is the purpose of the delivered message? just means it went to the phone?
    Yes. Apparently a post of just that is too short so this sentence is to lengthen the post.
    10-20-2011 12:33 PM
    also does imessage have a different text tone than a regular text message? can you make imessage have a different text tone than a regular text message?
    I don't think so - I think it's designed to essentially be essentially the same thing as a text message - except through a different medium.
    10-20-2011 12:33 PM
    can you have different text tones between text messages and imessages?
    10-20-2011 12:34 PM
    I wish Apple would have made it send read receipts by default. More than half of my friends don't even know how to turn it on. Plus is makes iMessage more fun!
    10-20-2011 12:39 PM
    if you know which of your friends have imessage you should just change that contacts tone under there contact options.
    10-20-2011 01:01 PM
    how about text tones? can they be different than text messages? so you konw when an imessage comes in vs a text message?
    10-20-2011 01:01 PM
    how about text tones? can they be different than text messages? so you konw when an imessage comes in vs a text message?
    Unless you go into your contacts and change contacts text tones individually (i.e. make those that you know have iMessage have different tones) then there isn't a way to just change it by default.

iMessage is designed to integrate into the Messages app seamlessly, but with added functionality for those who own iPhones. It is not supposed to be a separate app like on a Blackberry.
    10-20-2011 01:25 PM
    got ya. they made imessage to just go along with text messages and change from text to imessage when somebody is also using ios5 with their iphone device
    10-20-2011 02:30 PM
    so are "imessage" messages still sending through your carrier or apples carrier?
    10-20-2011 02:31 PM
    so are "imessage" messages still sending through your carrier or apples carrier?
    As far as I'm aware, they're through Apple's push servers. Hence why you can send messages to iPod/iPad users. I'm not 100% on this though, so I may be corrected.
    10-20-2011 03:59 PM
    you cant do it.. the only way is to change the text tone on the contact itself..
    10-20-2011 04:05 PM
    got ya. they made imessage to just go along with text messages and change from text to imessage when somebody is also using ios5 with their iphone device
    How many of you guys disable the iMessage option? Do most of you use iMessage or what?
    10-20-2011 04:06 PM
    How many of you guys disable the iMessage option? Do most of you use iMessage or what?
    I don't see why not to use it.

I just found that if it fails to send as imessage then it's just an option to retry as SMS so it doesn't seem to automatically try as SMS.
    10-20-2011 04:18 PM
    In the Messages menu under Settings there's an option to turn on or off "Send as SMS" if imessage fails. I have had several messages fail to go as an imessage to someone I know has iOS5. You can tell the difference by color.. blue is imessage and green is not. I assume this option is for people who don't have regular messaging plans and don't want to incur any per message charges if their imessage does not go through. Not sure if it keeps trying if it fails, or you have to resend.

This is the same page as the option to Send Read Receipts.
    10-20-2011 10:45 PM
    Nope....there is no way... To be sure go to sittings then messages there is one tone to imessage and message
    10-21-2011 03:43 AM
    Why would you not use it? There no down side at all...
    10-21-2011 01:35 PM
    Side point....in iMessage when some one is typing you see a bubble with three dots appear "...". So hopefully they are/have read you message.
    10-21-2011 03:58 PM
    Why would you not use it? There no down side at all...
    I turned iMessage off on the wife's phone. I was grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data plan, but she is not and only uses the budget plan, so sending and receiving text via the data network may push her over and cause a different sort of overage fee. PLUS, since I have a daughter that sends/receives THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of texts, we already have the unlimited family messaging...

There's one downside.
    10-21-2011 05:28 PM
    So when you see the bubble with the 3 dots that means the other person is typing? Cool!!
    10-21-2011 05:33 PM
    I wonder how the phone figures out what phone the person your messaging is using and which iOS before it decides to send SMS or iMessage ?
    10-25-2011 05:13 PM
    I wonder how the phone figures out what phone the person your messaging is using and which iOS before it decides to send SMS or iMessage ?
    iPhones have to be activated before they can be used. So I guess when it's being activated, the phone sends all the information over.
    10-25-2011 05:27 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD