How Do You Know When Someone Read Your imessage?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
i actually just started to use imessage because everyone i knew just upgraded the software for some reason in the last couple days. i know the message says delivered when you send it but how do you know they viewed the message? does delivered mean the message got sent to the phone and its there or does delivered mean they read the message you sent?

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Under the settings for Messages the recipient of your message has to have the Send Read Receipts option turned on. By default it is turned off.

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
also does imessage have a different text tone than a regular text message? can you make imessage have a different text tone than a regular text message?

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
also does imessage have a different text tone than a regular text message? can you make imessage have a different text tone than a regular text message?

I don't think so - I think it's designed to essentially be essentially the same thing as a text message - except through a different medium.

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I wish Apple would have made it send read receipts by default. More than half of my friends don't even know how to turn it on. Plus is makes iMessage more fun!

phoon61

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
if you know which of your friends have imessage you should just change that contacts tone under there contact options.

Tillsworth

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
how about text tones? can they be different than text messages? so you konw when an imessage comes in vs a text message?

Unless you go into your contacts and change contacts text tones individually (i.e. make those that you know have iMessage have different tones) then there isn't a way to just change it by default.

iMessage is designed to integrate into the Messages app seamlessly, but with added functionality for those who own iPhones. It is not supposed to be a separate app like on a Blackberry.

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
got ya. they made imessage to just go along with text messages and change from text to imessage when somebody is also using ios5 with their iphone device

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
How many of you guys disable the iMessage option? Do most of you use iMessage or what?

I don't see why not to use it.

I just found that if it fails to send as imessage then it's just an option to retry as SMS so it doesn't seem to automatically try as SMS.

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
In the Messages menu under Settings there's an option to turn on or off "Send as SMS" if imessage fails. I have had several messages fail to go as an imessage to someone I know has iOS5. You can tell the difference by color.. blue is imessage and green is not. I assume this option is for people who don't have regular messaging plans and don't want to incur any per message charges if their imessage does not go through. Not sure if it keeps trying if it fails, or you have to resend.

This is the same page as the option to Send Read Receipts.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro