IMessage on iPad from IOS5 upgrade question

shihtzu3

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I was happy to see I could finally text from my Ipad2 and not have to switch to my iPhone 4 each time I needed to send or receive a text message. But after trying to actually send one from the iPad it says # not registered in "Imessage" although all my contacts show up in the TO: box. does this mean like with FaceTime (which unless your're in a circle of friends who all have iPhones etc, is useless) you can only text message to another IPhone or IPad user? I haven't been able to send a text from my IPad 2 yet, even to my own iPhone #. Can someone please help me of let me know if something is wrong. thank you.
:confused:

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to figure this out too. The apple website on iPad 2 says iMessage is only available for the 3G version, which is bull**** because iPod touches can iMessage. I use an iPad 1 wifi, which i think should be able to iMessage also. It can't cause I can't send one to my iphone. Then why did ios5 give me the iMessage app?

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
You can only iMessage to other iOS devices, that's the nature of iMessage.

You have to have something set up as your iMessage ID to use it, which for an iPad would be an email address.

3G isn't necessary, but some type of data connection is.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Yah I know the iOS part.

Edit. Got iMessage talking to each other between iOS devices of the same account. I havnt gotten iMessages from other accounts on my iPad, but maybe my iMessage app needs to be on and open to get them? This is so confusing.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
You can certainly iMessage to an iPhone from the iPad. Are your friends sending the text to the apple id you set up iMessage with? If not, or they're using your phone number, the ipad will not get them.

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2