Am I the only one disappointed with iMessage?

meissen

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought the best feature of iMessage was that -- supposedly -- I could have a conversation back and forth while at work and then when I get home pick up the conversation on my iPad.

Apple's site says: "If you have more than one iOS device, iMessage keeps the conversation going across all of them."

Now I'm understanding that's not the case at all -- that iMessage only keeps the conversation going across all devices IF and ONLY IF they send the message to your e-mail address that you have set up?

Am I the only going "Dur, that's completely useless... who is going to know to text my e-mail address?" Just seems like people are going to send to my phone # by default. While I understand my iPad doesn't share the phone number, I thought with this iCloud that it'd sync the messages across all my iOS devices that are connected to the iCloud. Definitely not as advertised.

phoon61

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I thought the best feature of iMessage was that -- supposedly -- I could have a conversation back and forth while at work and then when I get home pick up the conversation on my iPad.

Apple's site says: "If you have more than one iOS device, iMessage keeps the conversation going across all of them."

Now I'm understanding that's not the case at all -- that iMessage only keeps the conversation going across all devices IF and ONLY IF they send the message to your e-mail address that you have set up?

Am I the only going "Dur, that's completely useless... who is going to know to text my e-mail address?" Just seems like people are going to send to my phone # by default. While I understand my iPad doesn't share the phone number, I thought with this iCloud that it'd sync the messages across all my iOS devices that are connected to the iCloud. Definitely not as advertised.

setup imessage to have messages sent to phone number and email address.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
setup imessage to have messages sent to phone number and email address.

Still, only messages sent to the email address will sync to all devices since not all devices register a phone number as well. I get what the user is complaining about, I just don't see it as such a big deal.

natefish

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
My only complaint is that it doesn't merge conversations like I thought it might. It's hard to explain, but I have three different threads from one contact: one from his email address, another from another email address, and another from his phone number. All were sent from one iPhone. That doesn't make sense to me. Other than that, I am very pleased with the service and I'm sure Apple will continue to make it better until RIM goes down in flames.

Blackcash

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree. I'm not seeing the benefits of iMessage. If someone sends me a message from their iPad, I get one conversation. If they send from their iPhone, I get a separate conversation.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
How do u get it to show your contacts name ? I'm fine with separate threads for text / iMessage but text come as 1235657676 and other is 1 123 565 7676 so depends how it's saved in my contacts it shows the name for one and just a number for the other

Randy b

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
imessage sucks its noting like bbm its just text message over data no status update cant have a list of friends

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Randy b hit the nail on the head...it essentially behaves like SMS/MMS over data, only without the character limit. BBM functions more like a traditional desktop instant messenger, one that's fairly well integrated into the OS. Obviously BBM is has been around a lot longer, and I expect it to be more polished and functional. I'm sure given time, Apple will continue to add improvements to iMessage.

While in theory I think it's nice to have the seamless integration into SMS, in practice it would work a lot better as a standalone app.

736dave

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I worry that it is yet another IM in a world of ever increasing (proprietary) IMs. Heck, if you disagree with me, iCQ me at .... (yah, I never used IRC)

:p

vthokies

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure iMessage will get better overtime with updates. iMessages works both on my iPhone and iPod touch. Don't have any problems starting a convo on one device and finishing it on another. The only thing I don't like is that it uses data. I only have 200 MB on my data plan.

gthugballin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My only complaint is that it doesn't merge conversations like I thought it might. It's hard to explain, but I have three different threads from one contact: one from his email address, another from another email address, and another from his phone number. All were sent from one iPhone. That doesn't make sense to me. Other than that, I am very pleased with the service and I'm sure Apple will continue to make it better until RIM goes down in flames.

just add his email his other email to his contact info where you keep his phone number...

lbtriguy

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why people are so disappointed. It does what it says. I think it's awesome to have a special messaging service between iOS devices. You can see when someone is typing to you and has read their message you sent them. I think it's cool and will probably add some features later on but I think it works just fine as it is now. How about the disappointment of find my friends ? No one in their right mind is going to use that unless it's parents checking where their kid is at all times.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro