after much frustration installing io5 last night i noticed that i had no imessage app. It is a separate app, right? I have sync'd and re-sync'd and done several hard resets. What gives or what am i missing?
    10-13-2011 08:47 PM
    yeah i was wondering about this and then it just came to me when a friend texted me from an iPhone how it looked different
    10-13-2011 08:50 PM
    I had people texting me from all different phones and they all look the same, iphone, blackberry, dumb phone...
    10-13-2011 08:54 PM
    iMessage is within the text app itself. When someone with iPhone texts it does look different. You see that it was delivered and read and if the person is typing back.
    10-13-2011 08:56 PM
    It is not a separate app, go to your settings, then to messages, then check to see if Imessage is on. Activate it and that is it. If the person you are texting has an ios5 device it will detect it automatically.
    10-13-2011 08:57 PM
    iMessage is within the text app itself. When someone with iPhone texts it does look different. You see that it was delivered and read and if the person is typing back.
    ^^^ what he said. iMessage is "baked into" the messages app. ur message color will turn blue... it's not a big "wow" app, its more of a tweak to current messaging...
    10-13-2011 08:58 PM
    maybe all the iphones I had texting me hasn't installed ios 5 then? I warned them all to wait a few day to avoid the headache, especially since they aren't all that tech savy so I guess it will take a while before i see what's its like, thanks for the help
    10-13-2011 09:00 PM
    maybe all the iphones I had texting me hasn't installed ios 5 then? I warned them all to wait a few day to avoid the headache, especially since they aren't all that tech savy so I guess it will take a while before i see what's its like, thanks for the help
    have them send a text to your apple id and see if that fixes it for you.
    10-13-2011 09:00 PM
    Still think I like whatsapp better. I prefer it separate.
    10-13-2011 09:20 PM
    Wow - I can't believe the confusion on this... Its so simple. You don't have to do anything different than you used to to text someone. If they have an iMessage compatible device, it AUTOMATICALLY uses iMessage.
    10-13-2011 09:52 PM
    Wow - I can't believe the confusion on this... Its so simple. You don't have to do anything different than you used to to text someone. If they have an iMessage compatible device, it AUTOMATICALLY uses iMessage.

IF it's switched ON by the other user...
    10-13-2011 10:39 PM
    What's simple to you may not be to others. This is a place to ask these kinds of questions. Lets be a little nicer.
    10-13-2011 11:05 PM
    Both people must be using iOS 5 in order for iMessage to work. Find someone who has iOS 5 and text them. You will see the difference.
    10-13-2011 11:21 PM
    Please be patient with me. I am a complete newbe with iPad and IOS 5.
    I have been in correspondence with someone in the uK and we discovered that we could use iMessage to text one another. She has an iPhone.
    This is what we don't understand:-
    1. Do we address each other by our email addresses?
    2. Do we use the Mail App just as if doing a normal email?

Sorry for the simple questions.

10-18-2011 10:11 AM
    Ignore my questions

Don
    10-19-2011 09:58 AM
    Please be patient with me. I am a complete newbe with iPad and IOS 5.
    I have been in correspondence with someone in the uK and we discovered that we could use iMessage to text one another. She has an iPhone.
    This is what we don't understand:-
    1. Do we address each other by our email addresses?
    2. Do we use the Mail App just as if doing a normal email?

Sorry for the simple questions.

I have thankfully been able to converse with someone in another coutry using her iphone number.
    I used message

Waiting to see whether she can contact me on my alternate email address.
    10-19-2011 10:02 AM
    I have been requested to increase my entries so here goes.

Can we use speech over message?

Don
    10-19-2011 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD