iMessage Not Working. iOS5 Bug?

ujjsarin

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I was facing the same problem....iMessages working on iPhone 4 but not on iPad 1. It just wouldn't send or receive messages and would get stuck at 90%.....
Go to settings....and change your DNS address to 8.8.8.8 and then just log back onto your wifi....switch off iMessages and switch it back on and then try....once I did that it started working....and also I switched back the DNS address to my original DNS and its still working...had this quirky problem with FaceTime on my iPad 2 also....
See if it works.

Uj

asinha86

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Works perfectly now

Had been looking for a solution for the last couple of days to eliminate this problem.it works perfectly now.Thanks a lot!

Gooster

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I didn't want to clog up the forum with another iMessage thread, but I too am having an issue on my Sprint 4S, I think:

It's supposed to use wi-fi when available, right? There's nothing wrong with my internet connection as far as I know but messages to people also on iPhone hang and don't get sent. Meanwhile, regular SMS to other phones go through just fine, too, so I don't think it's Sprint. Also, iMessages from my wi-fi-only iPad 2 to iPhones go through just fine. Can anyone please explain what the issue might be? Hardware? I hope not. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

I did a soft reset and reset my network settings. iMessages seem to go through rather slowly, and they don't always go through at all. I hope it's not the hardware. Not in the mood to do yet another restore between this new 4S and my other iPhone 4.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Gooster... Just came in here to say that your Avatar is awesome. Great win! #Giants. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gooster

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Gooster... Just came in here to say that your Avatar is awesome. Great win! #Giants. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol We need Justin Tuck back NOW!

On-topic, I unlinked my Apple ID from iMessage on the 4S and now it's smooth sailing. Naturally I only have my Apple ID on iPad 2 so that might explain it. Crisis averted.

magnus1986

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
OK So I have been investigating this and was finally able to replicate what's happening.

Some WiFi networks mess with the activation process used and the phone does not retry. To get your iMessages working,

1) Turn off WiFi
2) Turn on Cellular Data
3) Turn off iMessage
4) Turn phone off
5) Turn phone on
6) Turn iMessage on
7) Test iMessages
8) Turn WiFi on.

If you do it in that order and allow it to activate over 3G, it works without fail. I have done this twice to make sure and it works and doesn't work when done over 3G and WiFi respectively. Once it has been activated, it works perfectly on both.

Let me know if it works for you!! I guess I'm better than Apple Support, huh :cool:

RenzokukenJ

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
My iMessage isnt working either.

Sometimes when I hard/soft reset my phone, I can send to myself. My Girlfriends 3GS can send to me but I dont recieve it. Hers works fine.

The following I have tried,

1) Turn off WiFi
2) Turn on Cellular Data
3) Turn off iMessage
4) Turn phone off
5) Turn phone on
6) Turn iMessage on
7) Test iMessages
8) Turn WiFi on.

Network Reset

New ID

Password change to suit new password standards

Changing DNS/DNE multiple times.

I have been working and searching for the last 4 days now... I cannot get this bloody thing to work!

HELP!!

Using a iPhone 4 on iOS5

And to maybe help some people who might think that I am not messaging to a compatible device, I am trying to send messages to my girlfriends 3GS who has iOS5 and can also send iMessages JUST FINE.

*****************************************************************************************
Im thinking if I backup the phone to iCloud and then restore the phone and restore my stuff from iCloud might fix my problem, but then again, I dont want to lose all of my messages that I have gotten from over the years...

Will this work?

Waks

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Mine just says "Waiting for activation", any idea?

I already tried the workarounds provided in this thread, but to no avail. I haven't tried restoring though. I'm encountering problems DLing iOS5 as it is..

Also, where can I find the DNS setting you guys speak of? Thanks!

Last edited:

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I know where to switch the i message on.. however the swipe button does not stay on! Has anyone else had the same problem?
Cheers
\

i have the exact same problem. I've gone thorugh the iMessage set up instructions here on TiPB but I dont see the verification page, or any of the other email settings...

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Also, where can I find the DNS setting you guys speak of? Thanks!

You can change your DNS setup in Settings>WiFi>Click the blue arrow next to your wifi network, then click in the DNS box.

(Or you can use Settings>General>Network>WiFi>)

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
\

i have the exact same problem. I've gone thorugh the iMessage set up instructions here on TiPB but I dont see the verification page, or any of the other email settings...

Well I finally got iMessage to work.. had to go into Settings/General/Restrictions and turn on FaceTime..now my iMessage works.

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I like a lot of the people with the imessage problem tried all of these work arounds. But nothing worked on my i4 ios5 but when i got my 4s i just restored as new. Only thing is i dont have any of my saved data, is there any way to get that back after setting up as a new phone? And my 4s i used my iphone 4 back up ad imessage works fine so who knows why it wont work on the 4.