imessage!

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Will imessage be better than kik and bbm, or be on the same playing field?

I think iMessage is going to be basically the same as BBM, you can make status' about yourself and you can instant text message people with iPhones. It shows when they're devices as well as on BBM. I bet iOS will do a better job of the the read and the typing back part. :)

Reactions: kfreemanii

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I think iMessage is going to be basically the same as BBM, you can make status' about yourself and you can instant text message people with iPhones. It shows when they're devices as well as on BBM. I bet iOS will do a better job of the the read and the typing back part. :)

it may be that way in the future but right now it is the same as your SMS texts... except it uses data. there are no statuses, no groups, it's just "baked" into the messages app. Oh but it does show you delievery receipts and a "typing" indicator.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Heres a screenshot below. Imessages is great. It automatically swaps from sms to imessages. The sms bubbles are blue instead of green. It shows when the other person is typing back. And its quicker than regular SMS.

Reactions: kfreemanii

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I think, judging from the 1 million preorders of the 4S in one day alone, that iMessage will become more relevant by the time the next iPhone is announced. I never got a chance to use BBM, but from what I hear they are very similar. Since Apple's iMessage is just now leaving beta stages and Blackberry has had a lot of time to develop BBM, I give Apple another couple months before updating it, and a year from now it will likely use all the same features BBM has, or more.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I think, judging from the 1 million preorders of the 4S in one day alone, that iMessage will become more relevant by the time the next iPhone is announced. I never got a chance to use BBM, but from what I hear they are very similar. Since Apple's iMessage is just now leaving beta stages and Blackberry has had a lot of time to develop BBM, I give Apple another couple months before updating it, and a year from now it will likely use all the same features BBM has, or more.

Whats gonna be cool is texting people you just met or didn't know well and finding out if they have a iphone automatically because of imessages.

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
It is very cool. It's been a long few months with the betas and wishing others had iMessage. It will be nice to finally have it public knowledge and be able to use it.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Will imessage be better than kik and bbm, or be on the same playing field?

It depends on what you think as "better". BBM has statuses and Kik has contact pictures, but iMessage is just a way of weening iPhone-iPhone texters off of texting plans. Its simplicity, however, means that less savvy users will benefit as well.

Joebin

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I never had a BB to compare iMessage to and have yet to try Kik. Apple will have iMessage integrated in SMS will make the experience seamless, which is helpful for most iPhone users. I don't have to think about it, which allows me to be more productive... at least distracted with other things.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
So what if a friend of mine has an ipad but no iphone? And i have an ipod touch? How will imessage know what to do?

As long as your friend's email address is in your address book, you can still iMessage him/her. Of course, this will require selecting his/her email address instead of phone number.

If the other party has an iPhone, however, you would select his/her number as you would normally, and if he/she has an iPhone with iMessage enabled, it will automatically send using iMessage as long as data is available.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking forward to using both BBM and iMessage side by side on a regular basis to see how the two compare. I like how iM is integrated right into the messaging app, as opposed to being a separate app like BBM.

So what if a friend of mine has an ipad but no iphone? And i have an ipod touch? How will imessage know what to do?
I believe it'll use your Apple ID if you don't have a phone number, kind of like how Facetime does it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR