iMessage on iPhone and iPad w/ Same iTunes Account

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
iMessage on iPad and iPhone, same account

Just curious how it works.

I use the same iTunes account on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 as many other people probably do. So, if someone with another iDevice were to text my phone, would I also recieve it on my iPad 2 at the same time as well? Basically what I'm asking is, if I were sitting on the couch with my iPad and my iPhone was in another room and someone with iOS 5 texted me, would I be able to view and respond to the text from iMessage on my iPad?

Anyone with iOS 5 on both their iPhone and iPad able to answer this? Thank you!

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

I use the same iTunes account on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 as many other people probably do. So, if someone with another iDevice were to text my phone, would I also recieve it on my iPad 2 at the same time as well? Basically what I'm asking is, if I were sitting on the couch with my iPad and my iPhone was in another room and someone with iOS 5 texted me, would I be able to view and respond to the text from iMessage on my iPad?

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I have it on both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. I was tinkering around with it last night, and using iMessage. I think your iPad has to be on (like, not in sleep or stand by) and connected to WiFi when you receive the message in iMessage for it to push to both devices.

I know that both devices (in an effort to save battery life, I assume) disconnect from WiFi when they are on standby.

When I picked up my iPad after having a conversation in iMessage on my iPhone, the history on my iPad was blank.

Rick0926

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I am curious about this too. To add to your question, I also wonder if this will work for me since both my wife myself share just one iPad. I don't really want her messages and my messages on the iPad.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I use FaceTime on my iPad 2, I bet it works the same way. If I want to call my wife on her iPhone, I call her number. If I want to FaceTime her on the iPad, I use her email addy. When I go to FaceTime her, I get a menu that shows both and gives me the choice to call. You can use more than one addy, but you don't have to. You cannot receive FaceTime calls on an iPad unless they are sent from another iDevice to the email address, not the phone number. You can only call my iPhone using the number.

kikideath

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
In their presentation they show that iMessage works across all your devices, so if you start a conversation on your phone you can pick up where you left off on the iPad.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
In their presentation they show that iMessage works across all your devices, so if you start a conversation on your phone you can pick up where you left off on the iPad.

+1 Shouldn't have to do anything tricky for imessages,etc to work on different idevices.

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
It's also very cool that you can see when the other party is typing (not what they are typing), and you can see "delivered" at the bottom of the iMessage to know if they received the text or not. Great feature.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have a few devices on the GM at the office and iMessages will show up on all the accounts that are configured on. So if I get an iMessage on my ip4 then I also get it on the iPad2. Remember though it is only iMessages not txts.

Nicodm

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I beleive it will push to all devices you have registered with iMessage and once you've checked it on one it will show that it's read on all devices as well. So you don't have to open the message on all of your products.

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
iMessage is one of the more simple features of iOS 5. There sure is a lot of confusion though and I wish I could clear the air.

iMessage is solely based on iCloud. Most people are worried their wives or girlfriends will see their texts, and yes, that can happen if you're running your personal iCloud on a device that you share with another person.

When you sign up for iCloud, you get the option to make a brand new email address so not to mix up your iCloud account with your ITunes account or your Apple ID. I highly recommend everyone create a new @me.com email address, and if you have/had MobileMe, you have the option of using that email address.

Now if you're sharing an iPad and you don't want any of your iMessages to show, go into settings and turn it off until you're ready to turn it back on. OR, use the iPad to sign up for a completely separate iCloud account that you and your wife or whoever share. That would mean you have a personal iCloud, your wife has a personal iCloud, and together you both have a shared iCloud. That's 15GB of space free, which rocks.

I hope I'm not making things more confusing.

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
So if someone want to text my wifi iPad they have to use my email addy? Can I use my current iTunes addy ( which is my default real addy)? If a non iDevice user texted my email address would it go to my iPad?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
iMessage is one of the more simple features of iOS 5. There sure is a lot of confusion though and I wish I could clear the air.

iMessage is solely based on iCloud. Most people are worried their wives or girlfriends will see their texts, and yes, that can happen if you're running your personal iCloud on a device that you share with another person.

When you sign up for iCloud, you get the option to make a brand new email address so not to mix up your iCloud account with your ITunes account or your Apple ID. I highly recommend everyone create a new @me.com email address, and if you have/had MobileMe, you have the option of using that email address.

Now if you're sharing an iPad and you don't want any of your iMessages to show, go into settings and turn it off until you're ready to turn it back on. OR, use the iPad to sign up for a completely separate iCloud account that you and your wife or whoever share. That would mean you have a personal iCloud, your wife has a personal iCloud, and together you both have a shared iCloud. That's 15GB of space free, which rocks.

I hope I'm not making things more confusing.

Just use your apple id when setting up icloud account. You don't need me.com anything unless you want to use sync email or notes among devices with icloud (alternatively, i use google sync and don't need me.com). If you do want to use apple email, associate that me.com address with your apple id.

If you want devices to share info, give them the same icloud id and turn on or off what you want. These devices will also share the same icloud storage which is sort of worthless (imo) right now anyways. Ideally, you might want to share your iphone and ipad.

Set up everyone in your group or family using their own apple id for icloud.

You can set up imessage with any email or apple id.

You can set up apple store with the apple id you want. For example, if you buy all the apps in family on one account, set up everyone's with that id in apple store's settings.

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
So if I setup a .me acct do I set a forward from my other accts to receive push emails? And if I did that would other iDevices have to use my .me email addy?

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
This whole Icloud thing is the most confusing thing of the new ios...So, my son and I have iphones and share and itunes id... If I don't want to see all his texts, emails and imessages, when we both download ios5 and set up icloud, we both create a different @me.com account, so that way neither of us will see eachothers info???

but we can still share the same itunes id for songs and apps?

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
How to receive texts on your iPad and iPhone simultaneously

If you want to receive it on both at the same time (I have this because when I am at the gym I never look at my phone), you have to do two things:

1) Your iPad should be set up with your Apple ID and therefore an email address. Under Settings > Messages > Received At you'll see an email address. On your phone, you need to enter that same email address. So on the phone you'll have two Receive At addresses. One is your phone number and one is that email address.

2) If you want to receive texts on both devices, the senders have to text you at the email address.

If there is a simpler way, please let me know. This is how I got it to work (it would be better if it were linked by phone number or Apple ID on the iPad. However, the few people that I care to receive texts on my iPad know to do this.

Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner