What happens when I am abroad (roaming) and do have my data disabled.

A) I assume friends can still send me messages, but I would only receive then let's say when I would be on wifi, isn't?

B) what happens when I turn imessage off? I suppose then the system would send me an SMS?

Thanks
    07-09-2011 07:34 AM
    Good question. I was about to post the same thing but then saw your post.

I would assume that you would need either wifi or data. But if not that would be awesome and apple could say truly magical hah
    07-09-2011 08:42 AM
    My understanding is that iMessage works when it can... and falls back to SMS/MMS when iMessage cannot work. Since iMessage needs data (3G or wifi), being without either would result in SMS/MMS... but obviously, that's just my guess.
    07-09-2011 10:08 AM
    My understanding is that iMessage works when it can... and falls back to SMS/MMS when iMessage cannot work. Since iMessage needs data (3G or wifi), being without either would result in SMS/MMS... but obviously, that's just my guess.
    Sounds logical. Will be interesting to test out the parameters once the final build is out.
    07-09-2011 10:33 AM
    But let's assume you are in a building without coverage then it would sent an SMS? Which I hope will not happen, but anyway I guess we will wait till it gets out of beta - or someone has experienced in beta.
    07-09-2011 10:36 AM
    But let's assume you are in a building without coverage then it would sent an SMS? Which I hope will not happen, but anyway I guess we will wait till it gets out of beta - or someone has experienced in beta.
    To extend my hypothesis (above), if you don't have (can't get) a signal for data, then you'd fall back to SMS/MMS... but most times that you can't get a signal for data, voice (which is what SMS/MMS uses) is also very weak... maybe NO connection at all - which equals NO communication via iMessage OR SMS/MMS.

Again, just my thoughts...
    07-09-2011 10:40 AM
    if you have " send as text message" enabled and you try to send a message inside the building with no reception you're gonna get a warning sign letting you know there is no reception, the message will then be sent as a text message a few seconds/minutes later.. ( in my experience is a few minutes ), if you disable that option the message wont be sent until you have data.
    07-10-2011 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD