imessage abroad

mitsui

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
What happens when I am abroad (roaming) and do have my data disabled.

A) I assume friends can still send me messages, but I would only receive then let's say when I would be on wifi, isn't?

B) what happens when I turn imessage off? I suppose then the system would send me an SMS?

Thanks

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Good question. I was about to post the same thing but then saw your post.

I would assume that you would need either wifi or data. But if not that would be awesome and apple could say truly magical hah

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My understanding is that iMessage works when it can... and falls back to SMS/MMS when iMessage cannot work. Since iMessage needs data (3G or wifi), being without either would result in SMS/MMS... but obviously, that's just my guess.

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is that iMessage works when it can... and falls back to SMS/MMS when iMessage cannot work. Since iMessage needs data (3G or wifi), being without either would result in SMS/MMS... but obviously, that's just my guess.

Sounds logical. Will be interesting to test out the parameters once the final build is out.

mitsui

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
But let's assume you are in a building without coverage then it would sent an SMS? Which I hope will not happen, but anyway I guess we will wait till it gets out of beta - or someone has experienced in beta.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
But let's assume you are in a building without coverage then it would sent an SMS? Which I hope will not happen, but anyway I guess we will wait till it gets out of beta - or someone has experienced in beta.

To extend my hypothesis (above), if you don't have (can't get) a signal for data, then you'd fall back to SMS/MMS... but most times that you can't get a signal for data, voice (which is what SMS/MMS uses) is also very weak... maybe NO connection at all - which equals NO communication via iMessage OR SMS/MMS.

Again, just my thoughts...

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

if you have " send as text message" enabled and you try to send a message inside the building with no reception you're gonna get a warning sign letting you know there is no reception, the message will then be sent as a text message a few seconds/minutes later.. ( in my experience is a few minutes ), if you disable that option the message wont be sent until you have data.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner