If I understand correctly, iMessage will automatically revert to sending by iMessage if the other person has iMessage as well. Otherwise it will send it as an sms. Well what happens if a friend has an iPad and a blackberry? I have their email, which I know for a fact is used for their apple iD, and their phone number listed under their contact name. Obviously I'll be trying to get a hold of them on their blackberry more. It's a wifi iPad so they won't have it all the time. Do I have to make 2 separate contact entries? Does anyone know what happens in this situation?
    06-09-2011 09:58 PM
    Hmm. This is interesting. I would assume there is a way of setting a preference to phone number vs apple ID
    06-09-2011 11:02 PM
    If I understand correctly, iMessage will automatically revert to sending by iMessage if the other person has iMessage as well. Otherwise it will send it as an sms. Well what happens if a friend has an iPad and a blackberry? I have their email, which I know for a fact is used for their apple iD, and their phone number listed under their contact name. Obviously I'll be trying to get a hold of them on their blackberry more. It's a wifi iPad so they won't have it all the time. Do I have to make 2 separate contact entries? Does anyone know what happens in this situation?
    im pretty sure for the ipad its email/apple id based
    06-10-2011 06:20 AM
    So far I don't like it at all. It just seems like SMS with read receipts to me.... I'd rather it be a true stand-alone messenger app
    06-10-2011 08:08 AM
    im pretty sure for the ipad its email/apple id based
    Ya but how does the app know whether the other person is using imessages or not. like do you have to set it up between each other first, or does it just work out of the box as long as their phone number and appleid are linked with the contact.
    06-10-2011 09:15 AM
    Ya but how does the app know whether the other person is using imessages or not. like do you have to set it up between each other first, or does it just work out of the box as long as their phone number and appleid are linked with the contact.

Mine just recongnizes when it's sending to another iphone.
    06-10-2011 09:38 AM
    My guess is Apple has it set up to only revert to iMessage if the phone number is for a device on iOS 5, and then any other devices with iOS 5 that they have get it after that. So, if you text them and they don't have iOS 5, it will text, as opposed to going to their iPad.
    06-10-2011 10:32 AM
    My guess is Apple has it set up to only revert to iMessage if the phone number is for a device on iOS 5, and then any other devices with iOS 5 that they have get it after that. So, if you text them and they don't have iOS 5, it will text, as opposed to going to their iPad.
    so if i have their email/appleid (ipad) and their phone number (blackberry) linked under the same contact, it will revert to sending to the blackberry?
    06-10-2011 10:36 AM
    anyone start up an imessages group? i would like to try it out on my iOS ipod touch 4th gen.
    06-10-2011 10:50 AM
    anyone start up an imessages group? i would like to try it out on my iOS ipod touch 4th gen.
    As far as I can tell, you cannot do groups. It's just single conversations.
    06-10-2011 11:12 AM
    As far as I can tell, you cannot do groups. It's just single conversations.
    Is this just on beta 1? Cuz apple claimed you could do groups.
    06-10-2011 11:13 AM
    it's not groups like bbm. it's 5 people you invited into a chat. once its closed its over.
    06-10-2011 11:18 AM
    Gotcha. Ya I saw that in the video comparison Rene and Kevin did.
    06-10-2011 11:39 AM
    Is this just on beta 1? Cuz apple claimed you could do groups.
    Ah, well, I watched the vid tipb put on here last night, and then I tried it with a few friends. Either it's not available yet, or we just don't know how to do it.
    06-10-2011 02:52 PM
    I don't mind not having groups but I heard you can turn off R indicators? Not loving that, as a former BB user I want the R/D!
    Phil DeLong likes this.
    06-12-2011 09:03 PM
    So far I don't like it at all. It just seems like SMS with read receipts to me.... I'd rather it be a true stand-alone messenger app
    ain't that the truth. iMessage comes off to me like advanced sms rather than the bbm killer i was hoping for. but in time there will be improvements i guess.
    06-13-2011 05:54 PM
    ain't that the truth. iMessage comes off to me like advanced sms rather than the bbm killer i was hoping for. but in time there will be improvements i guess.
    But don't you think that's what makes it better than BBM? You don't need any additional setup, no extra app icon on your home screen, it just automatically detects if you're both on iOS 5 and automatically saves you texts. That seems a lot more efficient to me. Also it has all of the functionality of BBM, including sending messages without phone numbers. Although I think BBM does also have group messaging, but to be honest I've never needed that and I don't think a lot of people do, hopefully it will come later though if it's needed enough.
    06-13-2011 09:22 PM
    But don't you think that's what makes it better than BBM? You don't need any additional setup, no extra app icon on your home screen, it just automatically detects if you're both on iOS 5 and automatically saves you texts. That seems a lot more efficient to me. Also it has all of the functionality of BBM, including sending messages without phone numbers. Although I think BBM does also have group messaging, but to be honest I've never needed that and I don't think a lot of people do, hopefully it will come later though if it's needed enough.
    i just think it lacks the whole "social" aspect of bbm. adding read receipts is not the same as a "chat" app. and yeah, tons of people use groups on bbm. especially with the ability to post pics and share events and task lists in the group. i see how having it in the same app can be efficient but not at the cost of the other features that make it a social chat app. simple stuff like profile pics and display names/statuses is what make the experience. mind you, im not big on that stuff but most are. i'm just glad apple has created something. the details will be worked out later.
    06-13-2011 09:30 PM
    i just think it lacks the whole "social" aspect of bbm. adding read receipts is not the same as a "chat" app. and yeah, tons of people use groups on bbm. especially with the ability to post pics and share events and task lists in the group. i see how having it in the same app can be efficient but not at the cost of the other features that make it a social chat app. simple stuff like profile pics and display names/statuses is what make the experience. mind you, im not big on that stuff but most are. i'm just glad apple has created something. the details will be worked out later.
    Oh ok... Well to be honest I don't think Apple wants that kind of crap in their app.

I don't want to generalize too much but on my friend's BBM I have always seen people with status messages like this:
    "oxoxoxoxoxṡεχ вτсhxoxoxoxoxoxo"
    06-13-2011 09:58 PM
    yeah i see that "crap" too, but i also see stuff like, 'canucks are down 4-0' and then i message that friend and a conversation is started. but besides, the status stuff is not the only thing. but anyway, one thing i thought that was pretty neat that out-shined RIM was the whole being able to leave one device and pickup the conversation on another. like being on a convo on ur ifone then walk into another room and continue the convo instantly on ur ipad. that's genius. i'll personally never use it tho but its a good idea. i guess it also encourages people to buy more than one device, tablet and phone. i've personally yet to find a need for a table since i have my iphone and laptop. but i guess i would buy one if i had the extra cash to throw around.
    06-13-2011 10:07 PM
    When you open up the Messages app and select the recipient, it looks at the email address and phone number to see if either is iMessage capable. The app somehow must communicate through Apple's servers and see if the other person is available via iMessage. If they are it will send via that method, if they are not iMessage capable it will send to the phone number. It's pretty slick and really is pretty transparent to the user.
    06-14-2011 03:39 PM
    When you open up the Messages app and select the recipient, it looks at the email address and phone number to see if either is iMessage capable. The app somehow must communicate through Apple's servers and see if the other person is available via iMessage. If they are it will send via that method, if they are not iMessage capable it will send to the phone number. It's pretty slick and really is pretty transparent to the user.
    How will it know if they are available, because most of the time the iPad is sitting in the house the whole day where it is connected to wifi, so obviously it's available, but the person just won't be there to see it. Rene talked about it briefly on iPad live but I don't think the question was completely answered. Might have to wait and see what happens when it is released to end users.
    06-14-2011 04:02 PM
    Yes I agree, we'll know all about it once released. I wouldn't think that an iPad in sleep mode would respond to a request from the iMessage servers and that is how they will get around it as the wifi signal is sleeping as well except when checking for email, but again I'm not totally sure.
    06-14-2011 04:55 PM
    I'm pretty sure apple introduced always on wifi in ios 4. Although I don't know if it really is always on.
    06-14-2011 09:55 PM
    This question has finally been answered on Rene's recent post!! Woohoo! Basically you can choose.
    06-15-2011 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD