iMessage Question?

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
If I understand correctly, iMessage will automatically revert to sending by iMessage if the other person has iMessage as well. Otherwise it will send it as an sms. Well what happens if a friend has an iPad and a blackberry? I have their email, which I know for a fact is used for their apple iD, and their phone number listed under their contact name. Obviously I'll be trying to get a hold of them on their blackberry more. It's a wifi iPad so they won't have it all the time. Do I have to make 2 separate contact entries? Does anyone know what happens in this situation?

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
If I understand correctly, iMessage will automatically revert to sending by iMessage if the other person has iMessage as well. Otherwise it will send it as an sms. Well what happens if a friend has an iPad and a blackberry? I have their email, which I know for a fact is used for their apple iD, and their phone number listed under their contact name. Obviously I'll be trying to get a hold of them on their blackberry more. It's a wifi iPad so they won't have it all the time. Do I have to make 2 separate contact entries? Does anyone know what happens in this situation?

im pretty sure for the ipad its email/apple id based

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
So far I don't like it at all. It just seems like SMS with read receipts to me.... I'd rather it be a true stand-alone messenger app

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
im pretty sure for the ipad its email/apple id based

Ya but how does the app know whether the other person is using imessages or not. like do you have to set it up between each other first, or does it just work out of the box as long as their phone number and appleid are linked with the contact.

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Ya but how does the app know whether the other person is using imessages or not. like do you have to set it up between each other first, or does it just work out of the box as long as their phone number and appleid are linked with the contact.

Mine just recongnizes when it's sending to another iphone.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

My guess is Apple has it set up to only revert to iMessage if the phone number is for a device on iOS 5, and then any other devices with iOS 5 that they have get it after that. So, if you text them and they don't have iOS 5, it will text, as opposed to going to their iPad.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
My guess is Apple has it set up to only revert to iMessage if the phone number is for a device on iOS 5, and then any other devices with iOS 5 that they have get it after that. So, if you text them and they don't have iOS 5, it will text, as opposed to going to their iPad.

so if i have their email/appleid (ipad) and their phone number (blackberry) linked under the same contact, it will revert to sending to the blackberry?

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
So far I don't like it at all. It just seems like SMS with read receipts to me.... I'd rather it be a true stand-alone messenger app

ain't that the truth. iMessage comes off to me like advanced sms rather than the bbm killer i was hoping for. but in time there will be improvements i guess.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
ain't that the truth. iMessage comes off to me like advanced sms rather than the bbm killer i was hoping for. but in time there will be improvements i guess.

But don't you think that's what makes it better than BBM? You don't need any additional setup, no extra app icon on your home screen, it just automatically detects if you're both on iOS 5 and automatically saves you texts. That seems a lot more efficient to me. Also it has all of the functionality of BBM, including sending messages without phone numbers. Although I think BBM does also have group messaging, but to be honest I've never needed that and I don't think a lot of people do, hopefully it will come later though if it's needed enough.

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
But don't you think that's what makes it better than BBM? You don't need any additional setup, no extra app icon on your home screen, it just automatically detects if you're both on iOS 5 and automatically saves you texts. That seems a lot more efficient to me. Also it has all of the functionality of BBM, including sending messages without phone numbers. Although I think BBM does also have group messaging, but to be honest I've never needed that and I don't think a lot of people do, hopefully it will come later though if it's needed enough.

i just think it lacks the whole "social" aspect of bbm. adding read receipts is not the same as a "chat" app. and yeah, tons of people use groups on bbm. especially with the ability to post pics and share events and task lists in the group. i see how having it in the same app can be efficient but not at the cost of the other features that make it a social chat app. simple stuff like profile pics and display names/statuses is what make the experience. mind you, im not big on that stuff but most are. i'm just glad apple has created something. the details will be worked out later.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
i just think it lacks the whole "social" aspect of bbm. adding read receipts is not the same as a "chat" app. and yeah, tons of people use groups on bbm. especially with the ability to post pics and share events and task lists in the group. i see how having it in the same app can be efficient but not at the cost of the other features that make it a social chat app. simple stuff like profile pics and display names/statuses is what make the experience. mind you, im not big on that stuff but most are. i'm just glad apple has created something. the details will be worked out later.

Oh ok... Well to be honest I don't think Apple wants that kind of crap in their app.

I don't want to generalize too much but on my friend's BBM I have always seen people with status messages like this:
"oxoxoxoxoxṡεχ? в?τсhxoxoxoxoxoxo"

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
yeah i see that "crap" too, but i also see stuff like, 'canucks are down 4-0' and then i message that friend and a conversation is started. but besides, the status stuff is not the only thing. but anyway, one thing i thought that was pretty neat that out-shined RIM was the whole being able to leave one device and pickup the conversation on another. like being on a convo on ur ifone then walk into another room and continue the convo instantly on ur ipad. that's genius. i'll personally never use it tho but its a good idea. i guess it also encourages people to buy more than one device, tablet and phone. i've personally yet to find a need for a table since i have my iphone and laptop. but i guess i would buy one if i had the extra cash to throw around.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73