What is the best way to transfer from an older iMac to new one?

Msbrendawn

Aug 14, 2021
Visit site
I have an older iMac 2014. It’s slow and hasn’t ever worked as well as my MacBooks. I am upgrading to the latest iMac. I am considering using the migrate function but am concerned that maybe a clean install of OS and programs may be better? It will take more work but I don’t want to bring old problems over to the new system. Does the migrate assistant seem like the way to go?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If it were me, I’d offload your files to an external drive or to cloud storage and then setup your new iMac as new. Your email, reminders, etcetera should all sync to it when you’re logged in to an associated service. Afterwards, you can add your necessary files.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
If it were me, I’d offload your files to an external drive or to cloud storage and then setup your new iMac as new. Your email, reminders, etcetera should all sync to it when you’re logged in to an associated service. Afterwards, you can add your necessary files.

I would do the same thing, but copy my personal files over the network from computer to computer.

Just to start with a clean slate for apps, and review what I want to install and set my settings.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have an older iMac 2014. It’s slow and hasn’t ever worked as well as my MacBooks. I am upgrading to the latest iMac. I am considering using the migrate function but am concerned that maybe a clean install of OS and programs may be better? It will take more work but I don’t want to bring old problems over to the new system. Does the migrate assistant seem like the way to go?

I just want to say hello, and welcome to iMore!

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I use gmail so I have always used the migrate function to transfer my data from my older unit to my new one. Never had any issues and was always a smooth transition.

Takes some time depending on how much data your transferring. Migrate used to require to same OS version on both machine.

As far as my mail, as I said, I use Gmail mail and all I do is log back into my account in the system preferences on my new machine and I am back in business for my calendar and email.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods