Running the late iOS, Mac IOS Big Sur 11.2, but I had this problem with the older IOS’s. Frequently, even with what seems like a minimal action, our friend the “beachball of death” appears and lasts, for what seems to be, a fair amount of time. My scan was negative for malware. Is this a common problem among iMac users and something I just have to live with? Or, does anyone have any advise?
    02-08-2021 08:45 PM
    iOS = the iPhone operating system.
    Mac OS 11.2 on a 16" MB Pro: no problems like the one you described, except with one particular app (non-Apple), and the reason why I'm already in touch with the app's support team.
    02-09-2021 05:56 AM
    What iMac generation do you have and what type of drive is in your computer?

Older computers and computers with spinning mechanical drives tend to be slower, and they will show the waiting cursor.
    02-09-2021 07:45 AM
    Thanks for replies/correction. Tired of waiting...

2016 iMac, 3.1 GHz Quad-Core i5
    02-09-2021 08:36 PM
    Can you go into the application called Disk Utility.
    That's located in the Applications folder, inside the Utilities subfolder.

Make sure that Show All Devices option is selected in the sidebar display options.

Then select the top drive and send a screenshot of the results. What interests me is the bottom section where it says S.M.A.R.T. status, Type, etc.
    02-09-2021 08:54 PM
    UPDATE, the new Montery Mac IOS also sux. Every major Mac update seems to go slower, with more of a delay, showing the “beachball of death”.
    12-20-2021 04:14 PM
    My work-issued MacBook Air is a 2015 model and it is running macOS Monterey with ease. The only issue I had was on the day I upgraded to the latest official version. I kept getting the spinning beach ball and I could barely get any work done, however, the next day it worked like a charm.

I have 3 displays, Zoom, Apple Mail, Apple Calendar, 4 browser windows, probably 15 open browser tabs, Trello and Slack running simultaneously. The MBA running Monterey does an excellent job handling my work needs.

Something’s on your system is causing the problem in my opinion.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 12-22-2021 at 06:49 PM.
    Ed7789, taz323, scruffypig and 1 others like this.
    12-20-2021 08:34 PM
    UPDATE, the new Montery Mac IOS also sux. Every major Mac update seems to go slower, with more of a delay, showing the “beachball of death”.
    Have you checked the health of your drive? Like I suggested in post #5, I would start my search there

Computer slowdowns can be caused by many factors, including and not limited by general age, hardware health and kind, and unnecessary running software. On these items, there is little to no difference between macOS or Windows.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-21-2021 09:50 PM
    Thanks for your response. Yes, I utilized the Disk Utility. All devices had been selected and the top device selection yielded the same selection as you showed in your screen shot, except under Type has Disk instead of Solid State The computer is only a view years old and has no viruses or adware.
    12-22-2021 10:55 AM
    Thanks for your response. Yes, I utilized the Disk Utility. All devices had been selected and the top device selection yielded the same selection as you showed in your screen shot, except under Type has Disk instead of Solid State The computer is only a view years old and has no viruses or adware.
    Okay, so you have a mechanical (or spinning) hard drive. Those are usually significantly slower drives and take longer to access data (aka "access time").

You can look in the Activity Monitor app in the Disk tab to see which app is a lot of the drive's capabilities. You can click on the columns to sort by the biggest readers or writers. I believe the values are since system start - the manual does not mention what's the point of reference.
    12-22-2021 10:36 PM
    The Console application that resides in Finder\Utilities may help provide some clues. Console has sections for "Crash Reports" and "Diagnostic Reports", among others. There may be some details in those reports that are potentially related to the beach ball.

Also, you can click on "system.log", and then in the Console menu, go to Action\Error and Faults. "Error and Faults" search filter may provide a clue(s) for the app(s) or process(s) that is causing or experiencing the beach ball. The Console Help has good information about how to use the Console features and search.

As Ed7789 mentions above, you could use Activity Monitor to see if there is CPU or Memory resource contention by an app(s) or process(s), which in turn may cause the beach ball.
    Last edited by Trees; 12-23-2021 at 09:39 AM.
    Ed7789 likes this.
    12-23-2021 09:27 AM
    I was told by a “computer guy” that because I have a 2015 iMac, although it will run new updates the computer will, in effect, will run slower and less efficient because it IS older. That is the reason for my prolonged “beachball of death” and slower speeds. Does that make sense to the computer savvy out there?
    12-27-2021 05:52 PM
    I was told by a “computer guy” that because I have a 2015 iMac, although it will run new updates the computer will, in effect, will run slower and less efficient because it IS older. That is the reason for my prolonged “beachball of death” and slower speeds. Does that make sense to the computer savvy out there?
    While there is some truth to it, it should not be that dramatic. Your computer will slightly slow down for newer features, because the computer needs to do more operations to achieve the same task, we're rarely talking about seconds.

There is probably some process (app) that is misbehaving that is getting hung. Like @Trees suggested, having a look in the Console as well as the Activity Monitor apps can give a strong hint on what is causing the beach balls.
    12-27-2021 08:15 PM
    @Ed7789, I’ll check it out. Thanks for your input!
    12-28-2021 09:37 AM
    2016 and 2019 MBP’s both running Monterey with little-to-no beach balls. The beach balls usually occur when I’m sending/pulling files from a shared drive.
    12-28-2021 09:57 AM
    Okay, so how do I determine or find, Console and Activity Monitor?
    12-28-2021 10:31 AM
    Okay, so how do I determine or find, Console and Activity Monitor?
    You can find both the Activity Monitor and Console apps in the /Applications/Utilities folder on the Mac.

Note: The character / is used as the folder separator in Linux and macOS. So, it’s in the Utilities subfolder in the Applications folder.
    12-28-2021 09:04 PM
    Do you use chrome?
    12-29-2021 09:59 AM
    Do you use chrome?
    No on Chrome - why?

Got to my Activity Monitor but I see nothing obvious.
    12-29-2021 10:25 AM
    No on Chrome - why?

Got to my Activity Monitor but I see nothing obvious.
    Poorly coded app that eats up way to much ram and battery.

Care to post a screenshot of activity monitor?
    12-29-2021 10:31 AM
    @FFR, will post a shot of the activity monitor. Thanks.
    12-29-2021 11:42 AM
    12-29-2021 11:57 AM
    Your on memory usage, what about cpu
    12-29-2021 01:22 PM
    I’m sorry for snapping that pic on memory, but I discovered the reason for my problem. It was my McAfee Total Protection for Mac. Thinking about the progressive worsening of the slowing on my Mac, it occurred after I had recently installed McAfee, and then shortly thereafter Monterey. Now, after uninstalling McAfee, I am once more enjoying good speed on it and not much if any of the dreaded beachball of death. I will give further observations going forward.

Thank you for responding to my issue - much appreciated!
    Last edited by BuckyBadg; 12-29-2021 at 06:15 PM.
    Just_Me_D and Ed7789 like this.
    12-29-2021 05:57 PM
    I’m sorry for snapping that pic on memory, but I discovered the reason for my problem. It was my McAfee Total Protection for Mac. Thinking about the progressive worsening of the slowing on my Mac, it occurred after I had recently installed McAfee, and then shortly thereafter Monterey. Now, after uninstalling McAfee, I am once more enjoying good speed on it and not much if any of the dreaded beachball of death. I will give further observations going forward.

Thank you for responding to my issue - much appreciated!
    Great to hear that you might have found a possible cause
    BuckyBadg likes this.
    12-29-2021 09:48 PM