27" 5K iMac using a BlackMagic External GPU?

beamer4

Mar 8, 2020
Visit site
I have a 27-Inch Aluminum iMac (Retina 5K, Late 2015/Skylake), Quad Core 4.0 GHz Intel "Core i7" with an AMD Radeon R9 M395X graphics processor with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory. I would like to upgrade my GPU capacity, and I recently heard about the BlackMagic external Graphic Processor Units that are available.

Does anyone out there have one of these? Their literature says that in order to route video signal from my iMac to their external GPU, I need (or have to somehow toggle?) Apple's "Metal GPU Protocols". What is this? How does it work? Can this be "turned on" to process ANY video signal from ANY software on my iMac, then send it through to a BlackMagic GPU? Does the (processed) signal then come back from the external GPU through to my iMac 5K monitor screen? How does this all work?
Any knowledge/information/experience using an external GPU with an iMac would be most appreciated!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a 27-Inch Aluminum iMac (Retina 5K, Late 2015/Skylake), Quad Core 4.0 GHz Intel "Core i7" with an AMD Radeon R9 M395X graphics processor with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory. I would like to upgrade my GPU capacity, and I recently heard about the BlackMagic external Graphic Processor Units that are available.

Does anyone out there have one of these? Their literature says that in order to route video signal from my iMac to their external GPU, I need (or have to somehow toggle?) Apple's "Metal GPU Protocols". What is this? How does it work? Can this be "turned on" to process ANY video signal from ANY software on my iMac, then send it through to a BlackMagic GPU? Does the (processed) signal then come back from the external GPU through to my iMac 5K monitor screen? How does this all work?
Any knowledge/information/experience using an external GPU with an iMac would be most appreciated!

Hopefully, someone will be along to answer your question soon. In the meantime, please be patient while awaiting a reply. Your duplicate threads have been removed from view. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice