My WiFi is Dead

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a late 2017 iMac 27 5k unit and I didn’t get the extended Apple because I have never had any major hardware issues since I converted to Max in 2009.

Well, the internal WiFi has died and after spending 45 minutes for Apple tech support they have determined the internal WiFi is defective and my factory warranty expired Dec 2018.

Now the decision is wether to take the unit to the Apple store and have them replace the defective component off warranty or use an independent repair facility? Decision time.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Any idea how much you would save, going to an independent repair shop? We don't have an Apple Store in our area, and most don't want to drive 80 miles to one. We have several reputable shops here that do excellent work, and I wouldn't hesitate taking any device to them for repair. If you choose an independent shop, be sure they're reputable. Many do as good a job as the Apple Stores. It really depends on how much you save.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Any idea how much you would save, going to an independent repair shop? We don't have an Apple Store in our area, and most don't want to drive 80 miles to one. We have several reputable shops here that do excellent work, and I wouldn't hesitate taking any device to them for repair. If you choose an independent shop, be sure they're reputable. Many do as good a job as the Apple Stores. It really depends on how much you save.

I have a independent shop about 15 miles from me that said they can do the repair. The part I hate about the Apple store is I have to walk a country mile through the mall to get to it and the unit is heavy and bulky in the box.

Still irritates me that the WiFi died on a unit just after it goes out of the factory warranty. I have been so busy with my twin brothers prostate treatment and recovery the last couple of months. Hoping to find some time this coming week to take it in and get it fixed.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
This is why i got Apple care on my late 2015 27" 5K, includes on site service, i had a screen replaced at just under the 3 year mark, tech drove 5 hours to do it.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
This is why i got Apple care on my late 2015 27" 5K, includes on site service, i had a screen replaced at just under the 3 year mark, tech drove 5 hours to do it.

Yeah, first time I have had a hardware issue with one of my iMac units. The local repair tech said he can repair it at a reasonable cost.

So, I am having it done while we are in Florida for the winter and will pick up the repaired unit when we get back in April.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro