How do I remove a reappearing .pkg file from my Trash?

SeniorHippie

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
I have a Microsoft PKG file that reappears in my Trash a few seconds after I empty it. I have tried sudo rm -R, CMD-OPT-SFT-DEL, renaming, changing permissions,...nothing works. Sometimes it doesn't reappear for a few days, but it ALWAYS comes back. The software I installed was legally purchased and downloaded from Microsoft. When I use terminal to delete the file I get NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY. Anyone have any ideas? I am stuck.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried contacting Microsoft Support for an explanation for why the file keeps reappearing?

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a Microsoft PKG file that reappears in my Trash a few seconds after I empty it. I have tried sudo rm -R, CMD-OPT-SFT-DEL, renaming, changing permissions,...nothing works. Sometimes it doesn't reappear for a few days, but it ALWAYS comes back. The software I installed was legally purchased and downloaded from Microsoft. When I use terminal to delete the file I get NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY. Anyone have any ideas? I am stuck.

When you try to delete the file, are you in the directory where the file resides? Are you running the delete command with sudo? Is the Microsoft application that is related tot he PKG file open when the commands are run? Based upon the information you provided, my understanding is yes, but asking on the off chance it may help.

I searched for "mac os force delete trash" and that returned some help articles from other sites and Apple Support. Those may help as well, again on the off chance as it sounds like you've been quite thorough in your research and troubleshooting.

SeniorHippie

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
I can't seem to find the file unless it is in the trash. When I try to access it with Terminal, it tells me there is no such directory. It's a ghost.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
That is strange. Building on what Just_Me_D shared above, contacting Apple Support may be an option to consider. That way you'd have advice from Apple and Microsoft on the matter.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods