Wiped keyboard and now keys not functioning correctly

Jun 8, 2018
Visit site
High Serra 10.13.2 iMac Mid 2011 with A1314 keyboard

I did not power-off the keyboard and after wiping with cleaning-cloth I am getting the following issues.

Function keys were not working - solved that by going: System Preferences - Click Keyboard - select Keyboard tab - and then check/select "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"

Remaining issues:

1. Back delete is not working , instead the del <- button is doing a forward delete (and pressing it in combination with the 'fn' function button has no effect (still does forward delete).

2. Cannot capitalise just the letter 't' with left manual shift (works fine with right manual shift, see: t T ). Types nothing on holding left shift and t.

I have re-connected the keyboard, rebooted the machine, disconnected the keyboard's batteries and searched the web for the issue best I can.

Last edited:

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Couple of ideas;

1. Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Tab > Modifier Keys and reset them to defaults.
2. Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts tab > select Restore Defaults
3. SMC reset
4. PRAM reset

I believe on the iMac, unplugging the power cord from the unit will handle the 3rd and 4th suggestion.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
High Serra 10.13.2 iMac Mid 2011 with A1314 keyboard

I did not power-off the keyboard and after wiping with cleaning-cloth I am getting the following issues.

Function keys were not working - solved that by going: System Preferences - Click Keyboard - select Keyboard tab - and then check/select "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"

Remaining issues:

1. Back delete is not working , instead the del <- button is doing a forward delete (and pressing it in combination with the 'fn' function button has no effect (still does forward delete).

2. Cannot capitalise just the letter 't' with left manual shift (works fine with right manual shift, see: t T ). Types nothing on holding left shift and t.

I have re-connected the keyboard, rebooted the machine, disconnected the keyboard's batteries and searched the web for the issue best I can.

The informal that Quis89 provides should fix the problem unless the keys are actually malfunctioning, and if so, did you wipe the keyboard with a “wet and dripping” rag or something?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Another idea;

System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad. From here, verify Mouse Keys aren't enabled. I recently had a user enable this option and it did something similar to what you describe.

Jun 8, 2018
Visit site
Thanks. I have now tried all these.

Along the way I have found the following: the function keys stoped working again following restarting - every time - and I have to go 'system preferences' 'keyboard' & 'toggle' the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" OFF ! to make them work. So that is 'up the pictures'.

I also have found I can get the delete button working for backwards delete by toggling 'sticky keys' on and then off. But when I re-start it reverts.

Jun 8, 2018
Visit site
The informal that Quis89 provides should fix the problem unless the keys are actually malfunctioning, and if so, did you wipe the keyboard with a “wet and dripping” rag or something?

I have tested the keyboard on another Mac and the same issues are present. Have I killed my keyboard?

Jun 8, 2018
Visit site
Another idea;

System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad. From here, verify Mouse Keys aren't enabled. I recently had a user enable this option and it did something similar to what you describe.

hanks for the advice. I think I have mortally wounded my keyboard through overzealous cleaning! Thanks for your help.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I will give it a week to see but YUP! I think I should have powered off and made sure it was dry before turning back on. I am a PC man converted but old habits prevail. Thanks for your kind attention.

You’re very welcome...Please let us know the results after the week is up, if you don’t mind. Take care...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods