iMac 27 or A Gaming Pc

Sea Games

May 12, 2018
Visit site
I am deciding between a imac 27 and a cyberpower gaming pc

Imac Specs

4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
8GB 2400MHz DDR4
Upgrading to 16
1TB Fusion Drive
Radeon Pro 575 with 4GB video memory
Magic Mouse 2
Magic Keyboard - US English
Accessory Kit

Pc Specs:

Specifications
Desktop Series Gamer Supreme Liquid Cool
Desktop Type Gaming
Desktop Use Gaming
Condition New
Processor Brand Intel
Processor Version Core i7-8700K
Processor Speed 3.7 GHz
Cache 12 MB
Storage Type HDD
HDD Size (GB) 3072
HDD Speed (RPM) 7200
SSD Size (GB) 32
Desktop Memory Type DDR4
Desktop Memory Size 32 GB
Expandable Memory (Up to) 64
Graphics Card Details NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Graphics Card Type Dedicated
Operating System Type Windows
Operating System Version Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Operating System Language English
USB 2.0 Ports 2
USB 3.0 Ports 6
USB-C Ports 0
HDMI Port Yes
VGA Port No
DVI Port Yes
Other Ports 1 x PS/2 Style, 6 x USB 3.1 ( 2 Front, 4 Rear ), 1 x LAN Port, 6 x Audio Jacks
Headphone Jack Yes
TV Tuner No
Media Card Reader No
Network Card Yes
Optical Drive No
Blu Ray Drive No
Wireless (Wi-Fi) Yes
Bluetooth No
Power Supply 800 W
Expansion Slots 2 ( 1 ) x Internal - 3.5" 2 ( 2 ) x Internal - 2.5"
Cooling Details Liquid Cool
Colour Family White
VR Ready Desktop Computer Yes
Dimensions (inches) 17.5" x 7.9" x 17"
Weight 32 lb
Includes Keyboard Yes
Includes Mouse Yes
Included in the Box Computer, USB 7 Color Gaming Keyboard, Computer, USB Gaming Mouse, Driver Discs, Power Cord
Energy Star Qualified No
Warranty 1-Year Limited

I WILL USE IT FOR AT LEAST 5 TO 8 YEARS I do heavy light gaming on a android emulator (nox app player) and do heavy video editing (optical flow) final cut pro is better at it

So which one is better the pc is cheap and has a better graphics and more cores in processor

Sea Games

May 12, 2018
Visit site
Which one should I buy?

So should I go for the iMac instead? I need and computer that would last me for at least 8 years but still able to do the stuff I do.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
8 years may be stretching it a bit. While I do have a 2011 iMac, it does have its weaknesses.

However, if you're looking for a machine that will last a while, I'd lean toward the Mac.

Plus, a lot of Steam games work on Mac.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to iMore.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
No gaming PC will last 8 years. While the hardware itself may last, graphic engines in games progress and eventually your machine will not be able to keep up with those game changes. This is similar to Apple products. Eventually the hardware cannot keep up with the OS upgrades and Apple stops supporting that older device.

I'd go for a custom built PC. You build it yourself. This way you can just update the hardware needed to keep up with the game changes which is most times the video card.

Self built PC:
1: you can replace hardware yourself
2: replacing your own hardware does not void the warranty
3: you do not have to send in the entire machine to replace 1 piece of hardware
4: each piece of hardware has its own warranty (more options to shop around)

Pre-built PC/Mac
1: replacing the hardware yourself voids the warranty
2: you have to send in the entire machine for upgrades/fixes

dcoke22

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
As others have stated, the most efficient way to turn money into computer games is to build your own PC. Over a 5+ year time frame, it is reasonable to expect to replace a hard drive/SSD & a video card to be able to play the latest games. The internet is full of knowledgeable people talking about the current state-of-the-art of gaming PCs. For instance, https://arstechnica.com/features/2018/05/ars-technica-system-guide-spring-2018-the-show-your-work-edition/

The Nox App Player system requirements are not that steep, however. A modern 27" iMac would handle them easily. Furthermore, a modern iMac will play most any game, even Windows only games via Boot Camp.

Finally, if you want to run [URL="https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/#mn_p]Final Cut Pro[/URL], that's only going to work on a Mac.

I think in your situation I'd lean towards a 27" iMac. I think I'd also stretch for the better GPU, the Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory, since it'll be relevant longer. 27" iMacs have user accessible RAM, so it is easy to upgrade later.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I prefer doing work on an iMac. So if I were you, I’d get an iMac for work. But if you want to focus on gaming, and don’t mind doing work on a Windows OS, then like others have mentioned.. build your own and enjoy!

Sea Games

May 12, 2018
Visit site
At the end, I bought a pre-built better than the gaming pc that I listed on my post. I got it for really CHEAP! 500$ off because of Black Friday! 1699 CAD$ with a 512GB SSD + 1TB HD, i7 9700K, RTX 2070ti, 16GB RAM.

Runs everything butter, like video editing and anything Intense!

I bought the iMac first, thinking it would be the better choice, but I made the worst choice EVER! Video editing was pretty painful at first. Barely any FPS running PvZ Heroes on Nox App Player. But then, the SSD part of the fusion drive kinda ''FAILED'', aka stuck in a kernel panic loop in ANYTHING mac related like even internet recovery, except for Diagnostics test, which came out clear.

I had go on bootcamp, and man, it was VERY Painful, I got better FPS on games than Mac OS, but my workload was painful on this IMAC!

Somehow, 7 Months later, suddenly the iMac's Fusion Drive started ''working again''. I forgot press alt at startup, which happens frequently, and it wasn't stuck in a kernel panic!

I immediately backed up and deleted files, and made sure everything was working, and sold it!

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
At the end, I bought a pre-built better than the gaming pc that I listed on my post. I got it for really CHEAP! 500$ off because of Black Friday! 1699 CAD$ with a 512GB SSD + 1TB HD, i7 9700K, RTX 2070ti, 16GB RAM.

I bought the iMac first, thinking it would be the better choice, but I made the worst choice EVER! Video editing was pretty painful at first. Barely any FPS running PvZ Heroes on Nox App Player. But then, the SSD part of the fusion drive kinda ''FAILED'', aka stuck in a kernel panic loop in ANYTHING mac related like even internet recovery, except for Diagnostics test, which came out clear.

I had go on bootcamp, and man, it was VERY Painful, I got better FPS on games than Mac OS, but my workload was painful on this IMAC!

Somehow, 7 Months later, suddenly the iMac's Fusion Drive started ''working again''. I forgot press alt at startup, which happens frequently, and it wasn't stuck in a kernel panic!

I immediately backed up and deleted files, and made sure everything was working, and sold it!

I don’t have n iMac, just a 15” MBP. I would suggest that if your buying an IMac than I would not buy off the shelf. I’d buy from Apple and order one with an SSD drive instead of a fusion drive. You’ll be better off in the long run. Also it might just last longer.

Hkm04h

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site

I would choose a gaming PC if I were you because you can install an optimizing software that definitely will increase PC performance no matter what are doing surfing on the Internet or play games. Personally I'm using Ccleaner because it's easy to use. If you want to find more variants, check this article choose the best pc optimization software for your system. There you can find a lot of cleaners their features and price. Don't worry about the price, some of them are free to download, for instance: CCleaner.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods