Possibly upgrading from Windows to iMac; How to hide data from iCloud

AndrewPaulCooper

May 2, 2018
Visit site
I'm thinking about upgrading to an iMac and I am a little worried about image process flow.

In Windows I have a non backed up folder structure where;

I dump my camera data, a load of large RAW digital images (30M each) then throw the duffers, sort 'like' images (e.g. different exposures for HDR recovery) into sub-folders, do some experiments etc.

Loads of data, not worth backing up

I then have a backed up folder where;

I move images good enough to keep
and merged images (usually with their source file(s).
the native format of the program I am using
The final image in all it's glory.

Can I do this on an iMac

i.e. select a folder (and all sub-folders) to be ignored by iCloud / iPhoto to avoid filling my bandwidth and iCloud data with potential garbage?

dcoke22

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
Yep.

The stuff that the app Time Machine, gives you control for choosing things not to backup. You set this in Time Machine's Preferences.

Personally, I choose to let Time Machine backup the images I have in Lightroom, but I could easily structure the folders to make it easy to exclude some or all of those images.

I do occasionally make some time lapse movies. Sometimes I end up with 10s of thousands images that get packed into a time lapse movie. Those images do not end up in Photos or iCloud or in my Time Machine backup. I do, however, have a Backblaze account. Since they let customers backup unlimited data for a flat fee, I do let my time lapse source images get backed up to there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro