TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
First off, I'll say that it's been almost 7 years since I bought an Apple computer... my 2011 Air has been doing just fine, but it's time. :straight-face:

So I started tinkering around with configurations on Apple.com for an i7 iMac 21.5, thinking I can pick it up the next day, maybe two at one of the local 3 Apple stores.

No... :no:

Almost 2 week wait time?!! I played with a few different configurations, thinking I was ordering something totally unique (it's their selections though, how unique could it be). Same wait time...:crying:

Kind of disappointed.. are my expectations that far off?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
For a custom configured computer two weeks isn’t all that long of a wait. They only carry a few different configurations in the stores and I think they’re all i5 models.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I guess that's where I'm questioning my expectations. Is choosing their given selections really custom configured?? :confused:

For a custom configured computer two weeks isn’t all that long of a wait. They only carry a few different configurations in the stores and I think they’re all i5 models.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I guess that's where I'm questioning my expectations. Is choosing their given selections really custom configured?? :confused:

Kind of. Apple keeps very tight control of inventory so it’s possible they produce certain configurations on the fly.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rob,

Although I agree with Rob, I am surprised that Apple can’t have a custom config available within 24 to 36 hours, especially at an Apple Store where they have people troubleshooting smart devices and computers.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Although I agree with Rob, I am surprised that Apple can’t have a custom config available within 24 to 36 hours, especially at an Apple Store where they have people troubleshooting smart devices and computers.

The problem with that is custom configs aren’t built at the Apple Store, they’re manufactured in a facility and shipped to the buyer or Apple Store. I’m assuming it’s because the cost to manufacture in a facility versus in a store is much less. Of course this is all just conjecture though. Understanding the true cost (cost of goods sold) in an organization the size of Apple is a thousand times more complex than the general population understands.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods