I am switching from a 2013 MBP to a 27” iMac (2017) and can’t decide between the core i7 and the 3.8 ghz core i5. I use my computer mainly for analysis in excel (very large spreadsheets), video conferencing, and some web development. I will upgrade the RAM to 40gb (aftermarket). My MBP (w/ 16 Gb of RAM) constantly gives me low memory warnings when I am doing a video conference, have multiple excel sheets open and safari open.
    03-09-2018 07:02 PM
    I am switching from a 2013 MBP to a 27” iMac (2017) and can’t decide between the core i7 and the 3.8 ghz core i5. I use my computer mainly for analysis in excel (very large spreadsheets), video conferencing, and some web development. I will upgrade the RAM to 40gb (aftermarket). My MBP (w/ 16 Gb of RAM) constantly gives me low memory warnings when I am doing a video conference, have multiple excel sheets open and safari open.
    Then I think you should go with the i7 processor. I have a 2017 MBP w/8 GB RAM and when I do video conferencing and screen sharing while having numerous tabs as well as a few excel spreadsheets open simultaneously, it handles them all without a hiccup. Now, there are times when I have data heavy spreadsheets containing what appears to be a gazillion tabs, then yeah, my MBA will stutter hear and there, but I haven't dealt with the same spreadsheet on my MBP. Anyway, as stated above, go with the i7 to be on the safe side.
    03-09-2018 07:36 PM
    I also work with large files in my technical documentation business and currently have two iMac 27 5K 3.5 I5 units, both with 32 gigs of DDR4 ram, 4 gig video and haven’t had any major issues working with large files.

The one thing I am considering in the future is to go to a flash drive instead of the fusion drives to speed up the system. But, so far, I can’t complain about the performance of my current machines.

As far as I5 versus I7, I would lean a little towards the i7 if I where working the larger video files, if you have it in your budget and stick with the newer product line which have updated video, DDR4 memory and thunderbolt 3 ports. Hope it helps.
    03-13-2018 08:35 PM
    I have the 2017 27" 5K iMac with the 3.8 Ghz Core i5, 40GB of RAM, 3TB Fusion drive, and the Radeon Pro 580 w/ 8GB. I find it to be more than enough machine for my needs. Previously I had a 2012 27" iMac with the Core i7 & 24GB of RAM.

I like to play games, so I find that opting for the fancier GPU is more valuable to me than the fancier CPU. I also find that extra RAM & storage is more useful than the fancier CPU.

Generally speaking, unless you know for certain that your workloads will benefit from either A) the extra pseudo cores offering by hyper threading in the i7 or B) the extra Mhz available in the i7 that Apple offers, I would stick to the Core i5. It is overly simplistic, but Intel thinks of the i3 as budget, the i5 as mainstream, and the i7 as the performance option for people with more money than time. As such, the i5 works well for most workloads for most people.

If you really think the Core i7 is worth the stretch, it might be worth taking a moment to consider the iMac Pro. These machines have significantly expanded CPU capabilities and double the potential RAM.

Here's a link to GeekBench Charts to compare scores of the various machines.
    03-27-2018 10:16 AM