My iMac won’t boot /startup

amroose

Dec 16, 2017
Visit site
The status bar loads (slowly) but once full, just stays on the Apple and status bar screen.
*did the unplug and plug back in after 15+ seconds (actually had it unplugged overnight) no change
*wont start in safe mode
*started in recovery mode and did first aid and reinstalled OS (3)
* restarted w key commands D and option-D diagnostics came back w no problems
*restarted w command-option-R-P and all that gave me back was the started up chimes
*Let stay on the Apple and status bar screen for 2 hours and nothing changed.
What else Can I do to fix this?!?!?

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Might be a hard drive malfunction. Have you tried calling  to ask for advice? I had a similar problem and needed to have the hard drive swapped out. Still have been having issues with it though, but their not as massive.

amroose

Dec 16, 2017
Visit site
I did talk to Apple support and they walked me theough the first 3 steps I listed and then I searched for the rest, Apple suggested it be taken in, the computer is only 3 mos old and hasn’t been used heavily. So I was trying to resolve the issue myself before I had to pay someone.

dcoke22

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
If it is only 3 months old, it is probably still under warranty. Most Apple machines ship with a 1-year warranty. It is a PITA, but making an appointment at your nearest Genius Bar is probably the fastest way to get back to a working computer. https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/#mn_p Since your machine is likely still under warranty, I'd think the cost would be zero.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I did talk to Apple support and they walked me theough the first 3 steps I listed and then I searched for the rest, Apple suggested it be taken in, the computer is only 3 mos old and hasn’t been used heavily. So I was trying to resolve the issue myself before I had to pay someone.

They should swap out the hard drive for free if it’s only three months old. It’s still under warranty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2