iCloud Privacy

andrewoleynik

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Hey Rene,

Looking to use more iCloud storage for things like photos and documents but I am just curious about what Apple encrypts and does not encrypt. I know they will hand over backups to the government so I back up encrypted to my mac. Will my photos and docs be safe in the cloud?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
As far as I know, the only thing that is encrypted are your backups when you choose "encrypted backups" from within iTunes. Encrypted backups include your saved passwords, wi-fi settings, website history, and health data. Encrypted backups are not on by default, you have to choose the feature.

Otherwise, there is nothing that is 100% safe if it is online. Your best option is to backup things you want to keep in a safe place either on your hard drive, micro sd, or burned to a cd and placed in a safe.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
You can password protect individual Notes. It's easier than it sounds: it's one password and works with Touch ID.

Pages and other files can be encrypted individually too.

The intesting thing about Notes is than it works with so many fines, especially pictures. You can have a collection of pictures in one Note. You can have "secret" text with them too. You can have any file attached (zip files can be previewed, PhotoShop files work, rar files can be… well, stored and accessed later)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Otherwise, there is nothing that is 100% safe if it is online. Your best option is to backup things you want to keep in a safe place either on your hard drive, micro sd, or burned to a cd and placed in a safe.

Agreed. If that's a big concern then keep them backed up to a local source.

dcoke22

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
In general, Apple goes out of its way to protect your privacy.

Here is Apple's iCloud Security Overview: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

Making an encrypted backup locally using iTunes is a good option, but if you're the next Edward Snowden, the government will get a warrant to smash down your door and take your phone and computer (in the USA anyway). If your backup is only on your computer, you run the risk of losing it all if your hard drive crashes or you have a fire or a hurricane.

You should figure out a way to balance your privacy needs with the safety of an off site backup(s) and the convenience of maintaining it all. For many people that's using iCloud backups. For others it is local encrypted iPhone backups and something like BackBlaze. Figure out what works for you but recognize that most people are at a greater risk of losing photos and documents through accident, natural disaster, or theft than anything else.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner