Writing Apps

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm basically goong to ask the same question twice with a twist to you and Serenity:

What writing app do you currently use? What sets it apart from other writing apps for you? What is it missing?

What writing app are you temped to switch to? What feature does it have almost pulls you in? What is it missing that stops you?

(If you use a separate notes app, tie that in how you like.)

Do you use any tools, workflows, scripts etc, to make writing easier?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I typically write in BBEdit on the Mac. I know, it's complete overkill for blogging, but I love, love, love Plain Text for writing.

I started off working in the very early days of the web when you had to basically hand-code HTML in plain text anyway, so I'm fine writing Markdown (what we use on iMore) as I go and I don't generally need to see it previewed or anything.

For me, lack of features is a feature.

On iOS, I typically just write in Notes, which isn't plain text — sadly! — but does sync to everything else I use.

If I have to collaborate, since Mobile Nations uses Google Docs for work, I'll use docs. But I'll typically paste in from BBEdit or Notes :)

What does everyone else here use? Any great plain text syncing apps I'm missing?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nowadays, I use Pages and OneNotes (work purposes), but in the past, my go-to writing app was iA Writer.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Your note on plain text syncing reminded me of something. When Adam Pash wrote his 2010 article The Holy Grail of Ubiquitous Plain-Text Capture, it really struck a cord with me.

I've used plain text since EDIT.COM on the command line as a kid. I replaced notepad.exe with metapad.exe until Notepad++ came around. Switching to iOS/macOS, Simplenote was suddenly native and I started putting files in it, only to reverse after treating myself to iA Writer.

Finally I have synchronization of plain text files, spellcheck, dark mode, link highlighting, and don't have to write in cumbersome HTML.

By the way, iA Writer has added some really great features, namely embedding files. I highly recommend taking another look at it. I'm trying to make custom templates for it. I haven't tapped into all of its power. I've spoken to the devs and they have some really great things on the roadmap.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I used Notational Velocity / nvAlt for a while and synced by saving to Dropbox.

Plain Text that writes to a storage provider is pretty great.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I used Notational Velocity / nvAlt for a while and synced by saving to Dropbox.

Plain Text that writes to a storage provider is pretty great.

I tossed around the idea of using those. I even have them in my "to install and try" folder. Simplenote had a native client by the time I used it. The text sync is crazy fast. Sadly, I'll probably end up just playing with them as I export files to iA Writer.

Focus Writer is another one I played with. Beautiful app. Too bad it doesn't support Markdown. It uses an stripped down version of Open Document format, so rich text and old-school plain text. I keep it installed and go back to it for fun here and there.

https://gottcode.org/focuswriter/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner