iMac won't boot up!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey all! Quick question. Going to run through my due diligence here but wondering if anyone has any quick tips for a sick iMac.

My wife has an iMac that won't turn on. It's plugged in, everything looks legit, and for some reason it has stopped booting. Any tips/tricks I should know about to get it running again, or should I take it to a Genius Bar?

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Does it turn on at all? Can you hear it? Have you tried to boot up in Recovery mode? I tried that when my iMac wouldn't boot a few years ago. It worked while in a Recovery mode, but I couldn't fix the problem. Only a trip to the Genius Bar fixed. It turned out that my hard drive went bad. Maybe this is me being spoiled/lazy, but part of appeal of  gear is knowing I don't have to troubleshoot on my own. So if you live close to an  Store go and get it checked out. They'll run diagnostics.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
any way to verify the hard drive isn't toast? remove it and put it into a USB 3 enclosure and try to boot into it on another machine. if it works, then the power supply on the iMac can be shot.

BuckyBadg

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Same exact thing happened to my bought in 2013 iMac. For about a week prior, I heard crackling noises, and it was slower than usual. From the process of elimination, and talking to Apple and some computer nerd friends, I deduced it was a sick hard drive which then crashed. Fortunately, I had my iMac backed up to the cloud. I replaced it with a new version, then opened it, took out and destroyed the hard drive before recycling it.

Your problem could be different, but is too similar to mine.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR