Background App Refresh, Good or Bad?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I actually have a question about this.....

I've turned off BAR for all apps (the main switch), but for some reason apps still show background activity. For example, the Xbox One application shows 2 min onscreen usage and 16 mins background activity. I thought the main switch turned off BAR for all apps?

I am on 10.3.1

Again, Background App Refresh only helps apps running in the background to do so more efficiently. Turning it off does not stop apps from running in the background. Apps need to run in the background if you want them to perform well. Most don't stay in the background long. I keep all my apps on for background app refresh. No battery issues.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Again, Background App Refresh only helps apps running in the background to do so more efficiently. Turning it off does not stop apps from running in the background. Apps need to run in the background if you want them to perform well. Most don't stay in the background long. I keep all my apps on for background app refresh. No battery issues.

Thing is, this app (the Xbox One app) doesn't even have an option to disable in BAR (or an option for BAR in the app in the settings).

I will turn on the main switch today and see if it effects battery life after a full 100% charge. The last time I did this (about a week ago), I noticed better standby time. Onscreen usage time was a little worse. My "test" is seeing how much onscreen time I get before my battery hits 50%. When things are running "right" I can get 4 hours on my SE. I also measure how long it takes before my battery drops from the LONG 100% bug down to 99%.

fourthbase

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I keep it on. Just like bluetooth it's supposed to make no difference. I'll take a bit of added functionality over a tiny bit more battery anyway.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thing is, this app (the Xbox One app) doesn't even have an option to disable in BAR (or an option for BAR in the app in the settings).

I will turn on the main switch today and see if it effects battery life after a full 100% charge. The last time I did this (about a week ago), I noticed better standby time. Onscreen usage time was a little worse. My "test" is seeing how much onscreen time I get before my battery hits 50%. When things are running "right" I can get 4 hours on my SE. I also measure how long it takes before my battery drops from the LONG 100% bug down to 99%.

If you're concerned about battery life, remember the big 3 battery users are Screen brightness, push notifications, and location services. Have you gone to settings > scroll down to XBOX 1 app > Tap it> turn BAR on?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
If you're concerned about battery life, remember the big 3 battery users are Screen brightness, push notifications, and location services. Have you gone to settings > scroll down to XBOX 1 app > Tap it> turn BAR on?

Yea, that's what I'm saying is there is no BAR option for this app, only notifications and that's it.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Does it show background activity in settlngs > Battery? If not, maybe it just doesn't need to run in the background. Some apps don't.

Yes, it shows background activity (it showed 11 mins) in the battery usage stats, but there isn't an option for turning on/off background app refresh (which is why I was confused and asked). I thought BAR could only occur if there was an option for it (at least to where it would show that high a number of usage time). I understand that apps still stay tombstoned in the background, but that the background refresh that would show up in battery usage stats are for refreshing of content (Facebook, social media, etc with new "posts" or w/e).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it shows background activity (it showed 11 mins) in the battery usage stats, but there isn't an option for turning on/off background app refresh (which is why I was confused and asked). I thought BAR could only occur if there was an option for it (at least to where it would show that high a number of usage time). I understand that apps still stay tombstoned in the background, but that the background refresh that would show up in battery usage stats are for refreshing of content (Facebook, social media, etc with new "posts" or w/e).

If it shows up in the battery stats with background time, it doesn't mean it's using Background App Refresh. Apps will run in the background with or without BAR. All BAR does is help apps run in the background more efficiently. That's all. Did you check settings > the app> is there a BAR option there.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I downloaded that app. I don't see a BAR option for it. Apparently, the developer doesn't want that app to use BAR. There may be a good reason why they don't. I wouldn't worry about it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice