Besides iPhone what phone would you use?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Rene,

I'm sure you remember those old desert island posts/lists. You can only take 5 things, or you can only have a CD with 10 songs which 10, or only 10 movies etc. I'm thinking something along those lines. Lets take Apple out of the picture. The factory burned down no more iPhones EVER, and now you MUST pick another phone, out of what is currently out there, what do you choose and why?

Rich

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I guess I should answer myself! First off a little background. Folks know that I'm a BlackBerry guy, BUT that is no longer an option, so my primary phone is an iPhone 7 Plus. I'm also firmly in the Mac camp with a 27inch iMac and a 12 inch 2016 Mac Book. I have an iPad Pro 9.7 also. I have other phones, a Google Pixel with DayDream View (which I love), a Microsoft Lumia 950 with Dock which I'm just learning, AND a Huawei Mate 9.

Ok so if I had to give it all up and just use 1, AND the Apple factory is burned down so no iPhone, I would pick.........

The Mate 9! It's a fantastic android phone with a 5.9 inch screen in a 5.5 inch form factor, it really is no bigger than my iPhone 7 Plus! It has a VERY iPhone like feature in that you can swipe down to search, which I LOVE and use daily. It also has a VERY handy lock screen which presents me with interesting news items AND a handy tool belt with a flashlight, voice recorder, calculator etc ALL that can be used without opening the phone. AND opening the phone is SO easy with the back fingerprint scanner! The fingerprint scanner can also be used to access the notifications swipe down IF you so choose and I do! And lastly the battery life is amazing it rivals the iPhone, it may even be better!

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Rene,

I'm sure you remember those old desert island posts/lists. You can only take 5 things, or you can only have a CD with 10 songs which 10, or only 10 movies etc. I'm thinking something along those lines. Lets take Apple out of the picture. The factory burned down no more iPhones EVER, and now you MUST pick another phone, out of what is currently out there, what do you choose and why?

Rich

Right now, the Google Pixel XL. I've owned one since launch and used it off and on since then. It's close to an iPhone 6s for me — don't hate, Google had to spin and launch something fast, and I'm guessing Pixel 2 will leap ahead! — and I use almost all Google services already.

I still have a huge soft spot for HTC going back to the Treo Pro, and this checks that box as well.

Now, thank goodness this wasn't a MFK type question! (Own, test, drop in a fire?)

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Right now, the Google Pixel XL. I've owned one since launch and used it off and on since then. It's close to an iPhone 6s for me — don't hate, Google had to spin and launch something fast, and I'm guessing Pixel 2 will leap ahead! — and I use almost all Google services already.

I still have a huge soft spot for HTC going back to the Treo Pro, and this checks that box as well.

Now, thank goodness this wasn't a MFK type question! (Own, test, drop in a fire?)

Oh dang .. I should have looked here before the thread I just created lol. This answered my question.

[Edit] Removed my other thread since you answered it here.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To be quite honest, I don't know what phone I would use besides my iPhone. I haven't paid any real attention to any other offerings. I've read a little about the Pixel, but not in the manner of being interested in it.

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
A simple Motorola phone, like like a Moto X, for basic use, iPhone is THE smart-phone no need to spend much on any others

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
First of all, I'd cry for weeks. Then I'd spend another few weeks in finding second hand iPhone 7 Plus' on the market and if all of them break or become useless over time I'd go with the Google Pixel XL. No Samsung or other android devices because I like my iOS pure without any shell from the manufacturer on it:

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Well if I ever went back to Android again it would be the Xiaomi Mi Mix. The phone is beautiful and pretty good specs.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel XL is really the only non-iPhone smartphone I would consider at this point. It seems less bogged down with bloatware than other Android iterations and it's as close to an iPhone as you can get.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Besides my iPhone, I would use another iPhone. No other phone has shown me enough to peak my interest.

The factory burned down, no iPhone, you HAVE to pick something else! Your pants are on fire! Oh wait did you put out the factory fire yourself and are now using one of the salvage phones? lol

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
The factory burned down, no iPhone, you HAVE to pick something else! Your pants are on fire! Oh wait did you put out the factory fire yourself and are now using one of the salvage phones? lol

I had a little help from friends! But we did manage to find a few iPhones that were water resistant so we're good for now. LOL!!!

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the other side of the aisle... iOS is my recreation platform. If I switched platforms (and I feel I could if I had to) iOS wins for me easily.

eljunayd

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I'll stick to my iPhone and then look for a way of integrating my iPhone to comply with other os, simply put the iPhone stands!!!!

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I still have a Nexus 6 & a Nexus 6p ready to leap into action if my iPhone 6s Plus were to go down ... it's not unimaginable that a Pixel XL joins the ranks when the prices drop a little ...

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Agree 100%. I had a Pixel XL for brief time before I found a 7 Plus and it's a great phone. I did feel like it was rushed and I am hoping that they take a leap this year with the Pixel 2. Competition and choice are always good things.

Similar feelings about the HTC 10. Lots to like there, but I would still choose the Pixel and ultimately the 7 Plus over it.