Boot Camp and Windows 8.1

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
After having my iMac for a few months, I'm starting to use it more and more.
Currently, I'm researching Boot Camp and installing Windows 8.1. Well, actually, Windows is being installed as we speak.

Do any of you here have Windows (any version) installed on your iMac?
Any obvious problems you've come across?

To be honest, it isn't that I need Windows on my iMac, I'm merely trying it, to say I did it myself (if that makes sense).

What would be nice, would to be to be working on the Mac OS, and 'quickly' get to Windows, if needed. For example, if I needed Quicken (heard that there are plenty of issues on the Mac version)...

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I use Windows 10 Professional on my iMac. I have it installed through Parallels though. This allows me to run windows at the same time as running OS X. I am not a fan of Bootcamp because I do not want to have to boot back and forth between systems. The unfortunate thing about running it through Parallels is that you have the additional cost of Parallels. It can get expensive. I can justify the cost with the use I get out of it with my design work.

As for how it works in Parallels, I could not be happier. I have been using Windows in Parallels for years and have never had an issue. But I must stress that I do keep everything on my computer up to date. Windows runs very smoothly and glitch free. And all the programs I run in Windows run excellent. I hope this info can bring you some assistance.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Now looking into VMWare Fusion and Parallels. I have both copies, need to test them.
Besides @firedept10 does anyone prefer one over the other? Thanks in advance.

Also, I noticed last night, after installing Windows 8.1, my Logitech MX Master mouse wouldn't work. I had to add it as a device via Bluetooth. And, I understand why. The issue I have is that, after booting back into OS X, I had to repair my MX Master with OS X. That would be annoying if dual booting...

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Now looking into VMWare Fusion and Parallels. I have both copies, need to test them.
Besides @firedept10 does anyone prefer one over the other? Thanks in advance.

Also, I noticed last night, after installing Windows 8.1, my Logitech MX Master mouse wouldn't work. I had to add it as a device via Bluetooth. And, I understand why. The issue I have is that, after booting back into OS X, I had to repair my MX Master with OS X. That would be annoying if dual booting...

Either VMWare Fusion or Parallels do an equally good job. I have friends using Fusion and have no complaints. I use Parallels because I am using Parallels Access which allows me remote access to my computers. And the biggest reason being that I do not have to reboot to use Windows. Parallels also has some additional features over Fusion that I use.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I've finally installed Parallels, and using the 14 day trial. Thus far, I'm impressed! Nothing like having Windows available on the fly...

Now to learn how to make sure this is backed up, somehow. Can the Parallel Virtual Machine (Windows 8.1), be backed up via Time Machine?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73