Few questions for a new mac owner.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
And leaving it in sleep doesn't cause wear or anything on the computer?

Actually starting up is very taxing on a computer. Your best bet is to leave it on. My MacBook Pro is sleeping in a messenger bag right now. I rarely shut it down.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
I had a iMac back in 2008 and never shut it down. I used back to the Mac to be able to grab files while away from home on it (before Dropbox). Never had a problem with anything. Even when I was on vacation it stayed on.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Actually starting up is very taxing on a computer. Your best bet is to leave it on. My MacBook Pro is sleeping in a messenger bag right now. I rarely shut it down.

Oh, ok. So I'll just use sleep mode then. I assume though the week I've owned it and was shutting it down didn't cause harm, right?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I do have a quick question about viruses and malware on Mac. Even if I had one, could it spread itself through the computer?

A virus, by definition, can spread itself through a computer. That being said, viruses for Macs are rare. Nothing to worry about.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
A virus, by definition, can spread itself through a computer. That being said, viruses for Macs are rare. Nothing to worry about.

well, I've done scans with bit defender and malware bytes and nothing came up. so I assume Im safe. my worry is that lets say i plug in a usb drive that could contain a mac malware or virus.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I do have a quick question about viruses and malware on Mac. Even if I had one, could it spread itself through the computer?

Have had a Mac since 2000 with no virus or malware scanner/protection, and have never had an issue. Doesn't mean I can't, but nothing I've ever worried about.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Should I also be using encryption for backups and stuff? How do I encrypt backups and such and is it a lengthy process if I have a 1tb hard drive in the Mac and am backing up to a 5tb HDD.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73