Do new macs come with up to date software?

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I bought my first ever Mac today. A late 2015 iMac. I have a limited data plan at home so getting and setting up a new computer can be a pain when everything needs to be updated and software downloaded. I ordered Logic Pro x with my Mac hoping to save on downloading that at home later.

So my question, do macs usually come up to date out of the box when shipped direct from Apple? I did a couple of upgrades so this should be a built to order machine versus something they probably already have in a warehouse if that makes a difference. It would really be great if it was pretty much plug and play out of the box for my situation.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
New Macs often come pre-loaded with a new OS X version, but not necessarily the very latest.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
New Macs often come pre-loaded with a new OS X version, but not necessarily the very latest.

Gotcha. Ok. Thanks for answering. I assumed that's how it was but I had held out a slimmer of hope that everything would be updated at the time of building the machine.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Gotcha. Ok. Thanks for answering. I assumed that's how it was but I had held out a slimmer of hope that everything would be updated at the time of building the machine.

Apple releases new builds of OS X pretty frequently and they're all free of charge. They usually include bug fixes and performance enhancements with major updates released annually (similar to iOS). It takes merely a few minutes to download and install an OS X update and the process is seamless.
In other words, it's possible that you won't get the absolute latest build but you can update within a matter of minutes. I wouldn't worry about it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The software you get on a new Mac is what was current as of its manufacture date... there's always the chance of updates coming out after manufacture that you'll need to download.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
If I rightly remember the initial update of the OS is around 1.2GB. I did it around a week ago.

At least that's pretty small. We get a small amount of data a month (15 gigs), but it's un-metered between the hours of 12am-5am. So even small updates like this have to wait until after midnight usually. I of course work in the morning so staying up late to do updates isn't always feasible.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
You'll likely wonder why you didn't make the jump sooner :)

Google has been my friend that's for sure. So far the only thing I've found myself missing was the Windows "snapping" tool. I read there's a 3rd party app that can replicate that so I might look into that later.

Something I noticed right away is how much better iTunes runs on the Mac versus Windows. It's really night and day.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Google has been my friend that's for sure. So far the only thing I've found myself missing was the Windows "snapping" tool. I read there's a 3rd party app that can replicate that so I might look into that later.

Something I noticed right away is how much better iTunes runs on the Mac versus Windows. It's really night and day.

If you live near an Apple Store, they offer free workshops. Their Mac Basics workshop might be particularly helpful for someone switching from Windows.
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2759779%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=EqJ1pNCl

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
If you live near an Apple Store, they offer free workshops. Their Mac Basics workshop might be particularly helpful for someone switching from Windows.
Workshops - Apple Store - Apple

Thank you for the tip! I'm fairly tech savvy so I'll figure everything out.

I asked in the peripherals forum but maybe someone will see this sooner, I bought the Magic Trackpad 2 and there's not haptic feed back with it. I just want to make sure I'm not missing a setting before I return it. I have the force feedback and haptic option selected in the trackpad settings....is there any other place I'm missing? There's an audible clicking sound when I "click" the trackpad and it seems to work otherwise....just no vibrations like I've read there's supposed to be when force touching.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I know in my MBP trackpad it's a pretty solid press I have to do to get it to force touch. The Track Pad 2 should do it from what I've read.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I know in my MBP trackpad it's a pretty solid press I have to do to get it to force touch. The Track Pad 2 should do it from what I've read.

Ok, I think it's defective then. The force touch works, meaning it will do what I expect force touch to do, I just get no vibration or haptic feedback from the magic trackpad 2. Thanks for the feedback!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I think it's defective then. The force touch works, meaning it will do what I expect force touch to do, I just get no vibration or haptic feedback from the magic trackpad 2. Thanks for the feedback!

Give it a good push and see what happens. Or if you have an Apple Store take it and try one there before you exchange.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Give it a good push and see what happens. Or if you have an Apple Store take it and try one there before you exchange.

I did try one at the store a few weeks ago before I bought one. It was definitely vibrating. My last hope with this one was there was a setting or something simple I was missing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2