What type of hard drive

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I use a 3tb western digital via USB, using time machine to manage the backups for both a Mac Mini and MacBook Pro. The WD drive is connected to my AirPort Extreme.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
I use a 3tb western digital via USB, using time machine to manage the backups for both a Mac Mini and MacBook Pro. The WD drive is connected to my AirPort Extreme.

Is that unit partitioned? And do you perform backups and clones to that same unit (just different partitions)?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I use several.

1. I use a Seagate 5TB NAS for backing up all my machines in the house and storing additional files.
2. I have G-Tech drives of various sizes (1TB, and 2 X 3TB) for each computer in the house.
3. I have a Seagate 2TB drive on my main Mac.
4. I also use 2 x Touro 1TB for backup and store them in a fireproof safe.

All my backups are cloned drives and I use Carbon Copy Cloner to do that. I am a big believer in that you can never have enough backups.

You partition the drive yourself through Disk Utility App. How the clone works is that the operating system will sit on the one partition and everything else on the other partition. This allows you to plug in your external drive and acually run your computer with it should your internal drive fail.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
What is the complete procedure for cloning a hard drive and using tge new hard drive on the computer?

I am going to purchase a SSD hard drive and clone my spinning drive to the SSD. I have a Windows computer.

Last edited:

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
What is the complete procedure for cloning a hard drive and using tge new hard drive on the computer?

I am goindrive purchase a SSD hard drive and clone my spinning drive to the SSD. I have a Windows computer.

From my understanding, you'd use an application like Carbon Cloner to clone your current drive to your new drive. Then in storage settings on the iMac, you can make that drive the default, if needed.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
From my understanding, you'd use an application like Carbon Cloner to clone your current drive to your new drive. Then in storage settings on the iMac, you can make that drive the default, if needed.

Carbon Copy Cloner is a good option and they have a 30 day trial. Once you're done, you can select the boot disk in System Preferences if you want to boot from the external.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
I've switched things up a little.
I'm running the Mac OS from an external SSD (256GB). I'll then send Time Machine backups to either my internal 1TB Fusion drive, or another USB 3.0 2TB Western Digital drive. In addition, I'll have a clone copy of the OS, etc. on another SSD.

Seriously people, the 1TB Fusion drive isn't as fast as it could be. Well, I guess it would be if I upped it to having a 128GB or 256GB SSD.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2