afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
"terrible idea...", I disagree. I've tested all THREE models of the iMac 27".
To me the 2TB Fusion drive model is the fastest, when it comes to Blackmagic Hard Drive speed test. However, the 1TB SATA drive unit, running the OS via an enclosed SSD, was virtually as fast as the 1TB Fusion drive. Again, I tested it.

The problem is this, like anything, if we had unlimited funds, we'd all get the highest spec computer\item. But, that isn't the case. So, if someone wanted to, they could buy the 1TB SATA or 1TB Fusion unit, and still run the OS via an external SSD. We all know SSD's on the market are MUCH cheaper that Apple are offering.

Lastly, users tend to have an external drive, of sorts, connected to the iMac for backups. So, why not connect an SSD, on a slower model iMac? Rhetorical...

this is a terrible idea. will run slower than the internal HDD.
also did you buy the $1099 iMac or the $1299 iMac.
The $1099 iMac is pure junk and a complete rip off. its so slow, its pathetic.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
An USB 3.0 SSD will absolutely not run slower than an internal magnetic drive.
The $1099 iMac is actually none of those things that you used to describe it. It serves the needs of a huge segment of the population that doesn't need a huge workhorse and doesn't want to pay a huge sum of money for a desktop computer. I wouldn't recommend it for a power user, but that's merely a segment of the population.

He told the guy to clone his internal HDD and boot and run his OS from a USB 3 external HDD all the time.
That IS a terrible idea and yes it WILL be slower than the internal. USB 3 can not read and write data at the same time.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
He told the guy to clone his internal HDD and boot and run his OS from a USB 3 external HDD all the time.
That IS a terrible idea and yes it WILL be slower than the internal. USB 3 can not read and write data at the same time.
No, he said external SSD, not HDD. Bold added for emphasis.

As a test, I'd suggest trying a SSD drive via USB 3.0.
I'd clone the current drive and place that copy on the SSD, and run the OS etc. from there. It would be interesting to see the results. I'd but it would be fast.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Ugh, I'll keep my opinions and ideas to myself. I used to think forums were about communicating ideas and possible solutions. Clearly I'm wrong...

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, I'll keep my opinions and ideas to myself. I used to think forums were about communicating ideas and possible solutions. Clearly I'm wrong...

You're not :) Aren't we all communicating ideas and possible solutions?

There's a big difference between an external SSD and an external HDD. I ran an external SSD via USB 2 and it was faster than the internal HDD using Blackmagic.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77