Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been seeing the beachball thinking icon lately especially when opening email. is this normal especially for new Mac that was bought May 8th

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I just bought me a new Mac today.

Congrats on the new Mac.

I've been seeing the beachball thinking icon lately especially when opening email. is this normal especially for new Mac that was bought May 8th

As asked, need more info. Does the Mail app beach ball before opening or does it open and then beach ball.? Specs on your Mac, like what hard drive (SSD or Standard Drive). Web base Mail app or Apple Mail App? Any info you can provide will help. Thanks!

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
1TB Drive

To confirm, the NON-Fusion Drive, right?
Run a hard drive speed test. Get the Blackmagic Speed Test app. See what the results are like there.

From my experience these past two weeks, non-fusion SATA drives in an iMac are slow. I returned mind and bought a Fusion drive model. It comes with an SSD drive as well as SATA. Much faster.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
yes non-fusion

As a test, I'd suggest trying a SSD drive via USB 3.0.
I'd clone the current drive and place that copy on the SSD, and run the OS etc. from there. It would be interesting to see the results. I'd but it would be fast.

If it within a return period and if you can afford it, upgrade to the 1TB or 2TB model. The 1TB comes with 24GB SSD and the 2TB 128GB SSD, both Fusion models.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
yes non-fusion

The 21.5" iMac uses a slower 5400 RPM drive, while the 27" uses a faster 7200 RPM. I don't know why it would be spinning a beachball though... the base 8GB RAM should be plenty. If there's a large mail file, it may be taking time to load everything.

How many accounts are in there? Is there a lot of mail in the inbox? You could try rebuilding the mailbox but if there isn't much it shouldn't be a problem. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22339?locale=en_US

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The 21.5" iMac uses a slower 5400 RPM drive, while the 27" uses a faster 7200 RPM. I don't know why it would be spinning a beachball though... the base 8GB RAM should be plenty. If there's a large mail file, it may be taking time to load everything.

How many accounts are in there? Is there a lot of mail in the inbox? You could try rebuilding the mailbox but if there isn't much it shouldn't be a problem. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22339?locale=en_US

2 user accounts. 1 mail account In each. The funny thing is happens randomly & not all the time. i do have a lot of junk email I'm trying to unsubscribe to

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
1 min at most. I was just wondering if that was normal

I've seen other reports of it... and think it would be frustrating. I use webmail so haven't had the experience much. You could also try deleting the account and re-adding it to see if that helps any.

Might be worth a call to Apple to see if they have any suggestions.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
As a test, I'd suggest trying a SSD drive via USB 3.0.
I'd clone the current drive and place that copy on the SSD, and run the OS etc. from there. It would be interesting to see the results. I'd but it would be fast.

If it within a return period and if you can afford it, upgrade to the 1TB or 2TB model. The 1TB comes with 24GB SSD and the 2TB 128GB SSD, both Fusion models.

this is a terrible idea. will run slower than the internal HDD.
also did you buy the $1099 iMac or the $1299 iMac.
The $1099 iMac is pure junk and a complete rip off. its so slow, its pathetic.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

an external SSD via USB 3.0 will run slower than a 5400rpm HDD?

I don't think the idea of buying all that stuff to test the internal HD is a good idea... the cost could be the difference in a level up if you're within the exchange period (to get some sort of SSD or Fusion setup).

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
also did you buy the $1099 iMac or the $1299 iMac.
The $1099 iMac is pure junk and a complete rip off. its so slow, its pathetic.

An USB 3.0 SSD will absolutely not run slower than an internal magnetic drive.
The $1099 iMac is actually none of those things that you used to describe it. It serves the needs of a huge segment of the population that doesn't need a huge workhorse and doesn't want to pay a huge sum of money for a desktop computer. I wouldn't recommend it for a power user, but that's merely a segment of the population.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro