More info please! Using the Mail app? Chrome? Safari?
    Mail app w/ Cox communications
    05-30-2016 07:23 PM
    What is the spec on your iMac? The 1TB drive or a 1TB or higher Fusion Drive model?
    1TB Drive
    05-30-2016 07:24 PM
    1TB Drive
    To confirm, the NON-Fusion Drive, right?
    Run a hard drive speed test. Get the Blackmagic Speed Test app. See what the results are like there.

From my experience these past two weeks, non-fusion SATA drives in an iMac are slow. I returned mind and bought a Fusion drive model. It comes with an SSD drive as well as SATA. Much faster.
    05-30-2016 07:42 PM
    yes non-fusion
    05-30-2016 09:50 PM
    yes non-fusion
    As a test, I'd suggest trying a SSD drive via USB 3.0.
    I'd clone the current drive and place that copy on the SSD, and run the OS etc. from there. It would be interesting to see the results. I'd but it would be fast.

If it within a return period and if you can afford it, upgrade to the 1TB or 2TB model. The 1TB comes with 24GB SSD and the 2TB 128GB SSD, both Fusion models.
    05-30-2016 10:00 PM
    yes non-fusion
    The 21.5" iMac uses a slower 5400 RPM drive, while the 27" uses a faster 7200 RPM. I don't know why it would be spinning a beachball though... the base 8GB RAM should be plenty. If there's a large mail file, it may be taking time to load everything.

How many accounts are in there? Is there a lot of mail in the inbox? You could try rebuilding the mailbox but if there isn't much it shouldn't be a problem. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22339?locale=en_US
    05-31-2016 07:32 AM
    The 21.5" iMac uses a slower 5400 RPM drive, while the 27" uses a faster 7200 RPM. I don't know why it would be spinning a beachball though... the base 8GB RAM should be plenty. If there's a large mail file, it may be taking time to load everything.

How many accounts are in there? Is there a lot of mail in the inbox? You could try rebuilding the mailbox but if there isn't much it shouldn't be a problem. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22339?locale=en_US
    2 user accounts. 1 mail account In each. The funny thing is happens randomly & not all the time. i do have a lot of junk email I'm trying to unsubscribe to
    05-31-2016 11:44 AM
    2 user accounts. 1 mail account In each. The funny thing is happens randomly & not all the time. i do have a lot of junk email I'm trying to unsubscribe to
    I wonder if it's trying to process the filters for the junk. How long does the beach ball last?
    05-31-2016 09:16 PM
    I wonder if it's trying to process the filters for the junk. How long does the beach ball last?
    1 min at most. I was just wondering if that was normal
    05-31-2016 09:24 PM
    1 min at most. I was just wondering if that was normal
    I've seen other reports of it... and think it would be frustrating. I use webmail so haven't had the experience much. You could also try deleting the account and re-adding it to see if that helps any.

Might be worth a call to Apple to see if they have any suggestions.
    05-31-2016 09:43 PM
    this must be apple & not your ISP?
    05-31-2016 09:50 PM
    this must be apple & not your ISP?
    Hard to know. If it happens every time, and there's no new info pulling in, I'd bet it was mail.app somehow. Apple can help troubleshoot
    05-31-2016 09:52 PM
    I'd clone the current drive and place that copy on the SSD, and run the OS etc. from there. It would be interesting to see the results. I'd but it would be fast.

If it within a return period and if you can afford it, upgrade to the 1TB or 2TB model. The 1TB comes with 24GB SSD and the 2TB 128GB SSD, both Fusion models.
    this is a terrible idea. will run slower than the internal HDD.
    also did you buy the $1099 iMac or the $1299 iMac.
    The $1099 iMac is pure junk and a complete rip off. its so slow, its pathetic.
    06-02-2016 12:20 AM
    an external SSD via USB 3.0 will run slower than a 5400rpm HDD?

I don't think the idea of buying all that stuff to test the internal HD is a good idea... the cost could be the difference in a level up if you're within the exchange period (to get some sort of SSD or Fusion setup).
    Rob Phillips and afctee like this.
    06-02-2016 05:58 AM
    An USB 3.0 SSD will absolutely not run slower than an internal magnetic drive.
    The $1099 iMac is actually none of those things that you used to describe it. It serves the needs of a huge segment of the population that doesn't need a huge workhorse and doesn't want to pay a huge sum of money for a desktop computer. I wouldn't recommend it for a power user, but that's merely a segment of the population.
    afctee likes this.
    06-02-2016 06:10 AM
    The $1299
    06-02-2016 08:39 AM
    The $1299
    That's a nice machine.
    06-02-2016 01:47 PM
    "terrible idea...", I disagree. I've tested all THREE models of the iMac 27".
    To me the 2TB Fusion drive model is the fastest, when it comes to Blackmagic Hard Drive speed test. However, the 1TB SATA drive unit, running the OS via an enclosed SSD, was virtually as fast as the 1TB Fusion drive. Again, I tested it.

The problem is this, like anything, if we had unlimited funds, we'd all get the highest spec computer\item. But, that isn't the case. So, if someone wanted to, they could buy the 1TB SATA or 1TB Fusion unit, and still run the OS via an external SSD. We all know SSD's on the market are MUCH cheaper that Apple are offering.

Lastly, users tend to have an external drive, of sorts, connected to the iMac for backups. So, why not connect an SSD, on a slower model iMac? Rhetorical...

06-03-2016 08:04 AM
    An USB 3.0 SSD will absolutely not run slower than an internal magnetic drive.
    The $1099 iMac is actually none of those things that you used to describe it. It serves the needs of a huge segment of the population that doesn't need a huge workhorse and doesn't want to pay a huge sum of money for a desktop computer. I wouldn't recommend it for a power user, but that's merely a segment of the population.
    He told the guy to clone his internal HDD and boot and run his OS from a USB 3 external HDD all the time.
    That IS a terrible idea and yes it WILL be slower than the internal. USB 3 can not read and write data at the same time.
    06-04-2016 01:49 AM
    He told the guy to clone his internal HDD and boot and run his OS from a USB 3 external HDD all the time.
    That IS a terrible idea and yes it WILL be slower than the internal. USB 3 can not read and write data at the same time.
    No, he said external SSD, not HDD. Bold added for emphasis.

06-04-2016 08:23 AM
    Ugh, I'll keep my opinions and ideas to myself. I used to think forums were about communicating ideas and possible solutions. Clearly I'm wrong...
    06-04-2016 08:26 AM
    Ugh, I'll keep my opinions and ideas to myself. I used to think forums were about communicating ideas and possible solutions. Clearly I'm wrong...
    You're not Aren't we all communicating ideas and possible solutions?

There's a big difference between an external SSD and an external HDD. I ran an external SSD via USB 2 and it was faster than the internal HDD using Blackmagic.
    06-04-2016 08:35 AM
47 12