Why is my phone trying to download all the music from my iTunes Library via Apple Music?

jtanko78

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Why is my phone trying to download all the music from my iTunes Library via Apple Music

I just purchased an iMac and copied over my iTunes Library from my old windows pc. I use apple music. After setting up my new iMac with iCloud, my phone started downloading all my music from my iTunes library on its own. The only reason I knew this is because my phone started warning me that i was almost out of storage. I found that it was music. When I opened my music app i notices that it showed "downloading x amount of songs" I cancelled the download and it populated with more songs trying to download, (different from the songs I cancelled the download for). I kept cancelling the download and it kept populating new songs. I have over 70gb of music in my library and do not want all of it on my phone. The only way I was able to get it to stop is to go into preference in iTunes and turn off iCloud music library. But the problem with that is now I cannot access any of that music or generate new playlist on my mac in iTunes and share with my devices. How else can I use iCloud music library in iTunes and not have my phone try to download all of my music?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why is my phone trying to download all the music from my iTunes Library via Apple Music

If iCloud Music Library is enabled in the Music settings, disable it.

jtanko78

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I did disable it and it stopped downloading the music to my phone. But now when I make a new playlist on my iMac, it is not recognized on my iPhone and vice versa. How can I get that to work?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I did disable it and it stopped downloading the music to my phone. But now when I make a new playlist on my iMac, it is not recognized on my iPhone and vice versa. How can I get that to work?

It's not recognizing the new playlist on your iPhone because you've disabled the iCloud Music Library feature.

jtanko78

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why is my phone trying to download all the music from my iTunes Library via Apple Music

No. I understand that. And that sucks. Is there anyway to turn the iCloud music library back on and not have the phone try to download all of my music. The majority of the music, probably 90% of it is from CDs I input into iTunes back in the day. Appreciate the responses. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73