Folks,

I have a late 2012 27" iMac. I plan to remove the standard HD and replace it with a SSD.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a SSD, I'm looking 500GB min. I see you can buy SATAII and SATAIII Drives, does anyone know if the iMac supports SATAIII? Sorry I'm not up on my SSD / SATA Knowledge.

Also is there anything that needs done once the drive is installed? other than installing the OS, do I need to add anything third party stuff to ensure the drive will work alright?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    G
    04-09-2016 08:45 AM
    Your iMac support SATA 3 SSD.
    Unfortunately it's not an easy job to replace the HDD, but you can do that (or ask a service center to do that for you).
    My advice is to buy a "supported" (not officially) SSD like OWC or OCZ, especially if you want trim to works properly.
    After installation enable trim by using the sudo trim force command on terminal.

http://www.imore.com/os-x-10104-and-...ld-you-turn-it
    04-09-2016 09:13 AM
    Folks,

I have a late 2012 27" iMac. I plan to remove the standard HD and replace it with a SSD.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a SSD, I'm looking 500GB min. I see you can buy SATAII and SATAIII Drives, does anyone know if the iMac supports SATAIII? Sorry I'm not up on my SSD / SATA Knowledge.

Also is there anything that needs done once the drive is installed? other than installing the OS, do I need to add anything third party stuff to ensure the drive will work alright?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    G
    Welcome to iMore!

Here is a guide
    on how to replace the HDD on your iMac by iFixit. Great site for doing just this kind of job. They can supply you with all the info you need for doing it. Here is another suggestion that is easier to do than tearing you iMac apart which is a big job. You may want to consider getting an SSD and external enclosure for it. Saves you tearing your iMac apart. You can then clone your internal drive to it. Once cloned you can use it as your main drive and your internal drive for storage. Just an added suggestion.
    04-09-2016 09:33 AM
    Welcome to iMore!

Here is a guide
    on how to replace the HDD on your iMac by iFixit. Great site for doing just this kind of job. They can supply you with all the info you need for doing it. Here is another suggestion that is easier to do than tearing you iMac apart which is a big job. You may want to consider getting an SSD and external enclosure for it. Saves you tearing your iMac apart. You can then clone your internal drive to it. Once cloned you can use it as your main drive and your internal drive for storage. Just an added suggestion.
    and ended up using a slow external drive as main drive ? I wouldn't do that....
    04-10-2016 02:14 PM
    and ended up using a slow external drive as main drive ? I wouldn't do that....
    Hoping to learn something here and will appreciate it. But how is a thunderbolt enclosure with an SSD as an external running the OS going to be slow. Thanks.
    04-10-2016 08:49 PM
    Hoping to learn something here and will appreciate it. But how is a thunderbolt enclosure with an SSD as an external running the OS going to be slow. Thanks.
    according to my experience it's much slower than internal storage, even if "theoretically" a TB connection should be fast enough.
    I used it on a 2013 iMac (the HDD failed, awaiting for a replacement with an SSD). It was slightly faster than the internal mechanical HDD but clearly painfully slower than the SSD I installed afterward....
    04-11-2016 02:14 AM