Slow 2011 imac

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I'd rather not as I'm trying to be optimistic in attempting to get around the problems I've mentioned. I have found out that making alias for folders will work if they replace the folders on the SSD drive. Unfortunately it's not as simple as replacing the Users folder as a whole. I'm experimenting at the moment and will report what I can if people are interested.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather not as I'm trying to be optimistic in attempting to get around the problems I've mentioned. I have found out that making alias for folders will work if they replace the folders on the SSD drive. Unfortunately it's not as simple as replacing the Users folder as a whole. I'm experimenting at the moment and will report what I can if people are interested.

Your choice. :) but if I have a drive that's too small NOW I can only imagine it would be worse later. Keep us updated!

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
That would require me to buy an SSD as big as my hard drive, which is 1TB. That defeats the purpose of utilizing a hybrid system does it not? Why would I do that if the purpose of me buying this SSD drive was to run the system only? I just wish Apple would allow us to run a Fusion Drive like system on usb.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
That would require me to buy an SSD as big as my hard drive, which is 1TB. That defeats the purpose of utilizing a hybrid system does it not? Why would I do that if the purpose of me buying this SSD drive was to run the system only? I just wish Apple would allow us to run a Fusion Drive like system on usb.
Heck if I know, I've never seen your system to know you needed 1TB. You asked a question, then asked for advice, which I gave.

FWIW, I have a 500GB SSD in my Mini, and use external for iTunes, photos, etc. My MBP is 256GB with about 60GB used but it's only a month old.

Steve Adams

Banned
May 26, 2016
Visit site
I have been wondering about this as well. I am dying to get rid of my windows stuff now, so I have been looking at used 27" imacs. I know my mini was fine when I had it in 2011. I am guessing that a 2011 imac with a big SSD and maxed ram will be fine. what about older airs. I have been looking at getting a 13" air for my wife and I and then when the time comes sell them and get the new stuff! I JUST WANT MAC NOW! Ha ha...I sound like my kids!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro