Slow 2011 imac

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What about finding an apple authorized shop to do the work, I don't mean an apple store because they may not be keen on the idea, but a third party place may - provided they're experienced with Apple.

I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading my iMac's storage when the time comes. Its virtually brand new and I'm really happy wiht the 2TB Fusion drive, but I figure after 3 years, the cost of higher capacity SSDs may make it worthwhile.

Personally, I doubt if I'll try this myself, so it would have to be someone who does it for a living.

Newer iMac the screen is glued on, you'll need a putty knife/spudger of some sort to get around the edges to loosen it. That's definitely not for the faint of heart. On kevdawg86's iMac, it's a different process and not as difficult. YouTube and some of the other sites that sell upgrade tools have lots of resources to make it easier to decide if it's something you can tackle.

quakerotis

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Create another user. L>go in with that user. If the problem persists, you may have hardware issues.

Look any the Activity Monitor. What are the dominant processes? SSDs are nice. Just be sure that your problem is really in your mass storage.

kevdawg86

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Create another user. L>go in with that user. If the problem persists, you may have hardware issues.

Look any the Activity Monitor. What are the dominant processes? SSDs are nice. Just be sure that your problem is really in your mass storage.

So part of the problem was a corrupt OS. I reinstalled the OS and it sped it up quite a bit. My main issues now are slow start-up and opening programs. I've been told that a SSD would help with this. It would also help the IMac last a few extra years which is important since the church isn't able to make a huge purchase.

timelady

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I have a 500gb external Samsung EDO. But it needs drivers, so not sure....I may have to go internal. I do change cracked iPhone and iPad screens for the kids, and have been building computers since this side of forever. As long as I get the tools I can manage this. I just don't want the hassle if I can avoid it;)

farb12

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have an Mid 2010 mac 3.06GHz i3 with 4gig of ram. Its getting so slow i cant hardly stand using it, constant spinning wheel. What are your thoughts on $300 upgrade for a SSD and 16gig of memory. Just dont want to waste $300 on a upgrade if doesnt make a big difference. Ive been pricing new macs and I just can pull the trigger. Looking at close to 2000 for 16gig with a fusion drive.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have an Mid 2010 mac 3.06GHz i3 with 4gig of ram. Its getting so slow i cant hardly stand using it, constant spinning wheel. What are your thoughts on $300 upgrade for a SSD and 16gig of memory. Just dont want to waste $300 on a upgrade if doesnt make a big difference. Ive been pricing new macs and I just can pull the trigger. Looking at close to 2000 for 16gig with a fusion drive.

The $300 will be worth it. I have a 2007 iMac that I upgraded with an SSD and maxed out the RAM. I had no regrets doing it and the iMac still runs like a charm. If you don't want to spend the money on a new iMac it is a great option for you. It will make your iMac feel like a new machine. Plus give you a few more years out of it.

farb12

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Any tips on migrating the just the OS to the new drive? Also is there any reason I couldn't use this SSD drive externally after I finally decided to get a new Mac?

Thanks

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a question about external SSD drives. If you were to mainly use it for the OS, what would happen if it were to suddenly unmount? Would the system just lock up? That worries me a bit.

Very helpful thread by the way.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, brilliant question, I'd like to know, too...

I have a question about external SSD drives. If you were to mainly use it for the OS, what would happen if it were to suddenly unmount? Would the system just lock up? That worries me a bit.

Very helpful thread by the way.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
OK so I bit the bullet and bought a 128GB SSD drive on sale to run OS X off of. I may have jumped the gun though as I now realize that 128GB is not enough to copy all of the necessary files. I originally wanted to just run the system off the SSD and keep all my other files on the HDD, but I seem to have run into a bit of a road block. I didn't take into account that the screen names include all the files associated with them as well. My screen name is over 250GB in itself. I read somewhere where someone linked the files to the SSD, but I am not sure what that entails.

Does anyone have any advice to give?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Sounds like a great upgrade and will get you several more years out of that machine. External won't be nearly as fast as internal, though I understand your hesitation to open the device. Lots of good info in this thread already :)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Any tips on migrating the just the OS to the new drive? Also is there any reason I couldn't use this SSD drive externally after I finally decided to get a new Mac?

Thanks

Carbon Copy Cloner. Or use Recovery Mode to add OS X to your new hard drive and copy your documents, music, etc., folders separately. You'd have to reinstall all apps.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
OK so I bit the bullet and bought a 128GB SSD drive on sale to run OS X off of. I may have jumped the gun though as I now realize that 128GB is not enough to copy all of the necessary files. I originally wanted to just run the system off the SSD and keep all my other files on the HDD, but I seem to have run into a bit of a road block. I didn't take into account that the screen names include all the files associated with them as well. My screen name is over 250GB in itself. I read somewhere where someone linked the files to the SSD, but I am not sure what that entails.

Does anyone have any advice to give?

can you exchange the drive?