I agree with everyone else. Drop an SSD in it.
    The internal HD that comes with it is 5400 rpm. Very slow and just get worse over time.
    Be careful if you plan to do it yourself. Go slow, use a ground strap.
    A static free mat wouldn't be a bad idea.
    OWC is awesome. I have bought from them many times. Great customer support too.
    Where do you recommend attaching the clip to stay grounded? I was reading online and a few people said the ground peg of the iMac plug. Is this what you'd recommend?
    04-09-2016 12:37 PM
    So do you recommend cotton gloves over rubber gloves?
    I actually thought about that, because rubber gloves might help with grip on the side when you move it. However I don't know how the rubber would do on the glass (probably ok) but I do know cotton gloves were what we wore back in the day with sensitive film negatives, slides, etc., to keep fingerprints off of them when handling.
    04-09-2016 02:35 PM
    Almost forgot!

You'll need a way to get the old drive data to the new one. If you're using a Time Machine backup, this will be simple. If not, you'll want a drive caddy for the old drive. You can clone the drive to the new one before installing. Or boot from the old drive (connected externally in the caddy) and clone it over then. OWC sells those, too.
    04-09-2016 03:05 PM
    I have the 2011 iMac, and know how you feel. Adding an internal SSD is a great idea, but I didn't wanna risk the screen or messing with the internals, so I used a different solution. Im using a 256GB Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt SSD external drive connected to a Thunderbolt port. I installed a new image of the latest build, el capitan, and it runs like butta. No taking off the screen, and you still have the 1tb internal which you can access the data from. The internal Drive I have a Bootcamp partition and a mac partition for data storage. Good luck.
    firedept10 likes this.
    04-09-2016 04:51 PM
    I have the 2011 iMac, and know how you feel. Adding an internal SSD is a great idea, but I didn't wanna risk the screen or messing with the internals, so I used a different solution. Im using a 256GB Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt SSD external drive connected to a Thunderbolt port. I installed a new image of the latest build, el capitan, and it runs like butta. No taking off the screen, and you still have the 1tb internal which you can access the data from. The internal Drive I have a Bootcamp partition and a mac partition for data storage. Good luck.
    Huh. I may try that first. Thanks, I've just made the decision to out he grunt in what is still a magic desktop device, just slowed. I was going to take out the HDD and put it where the DVD drive is as a secondary storage. I am assuming you went into rescue mode and just changed the boot order? Any gotchas you can point to?
    04-09-2016 05:03 PM
    Huh. I may try that first. Thanks, I've just made the decision to out he grunt in what is still a magic desktop device, just slowed. I was going to take out the HDD and put it where the DVD drive is as a secondary storage. I am assuming you went into rescue mode and just changed the boot order? Any gotchas you can point to?
    Here's how to choose a start up:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204417

Going external may be a good option. I didn't do it because I wasn't worried about a screen (Mac Mini) and I already use the Thunderbolt for a second monitor. So I had no choice.

I don't think the Thunderbolt is as fast as internal but I'd have to look up the numbers. Should be close if it isn't. And still leaps and bounds above the internal.
    04-09-2016 07:24 PM
    Almost forgot!

You'll need a way to get the old drive data to the new one. If you're using a Time Machine backup, this will be simple. If not, you'll want a drive caddy for the old drive. You can clone the drive to the new one before installing. Or boot from the old drive (connected externally in the caddy) and clone it over then. OWC sells those, too.
    Yeah I just started running time machine a couple weeks ago to an external hard drive just in case. In that case I can just use that correct?
    04-09-2016 11:00 PM
    I made this same suggestion in another thread for someone wanting to change their hard drive in a late 2012 iMac, which is by far a lot harder to do than on earlier models. Awesome suggestion by the way.
    04-10-2016 05:29 AM
    what about performance ? I don't have very good experiences about external storage
    04-10-2016 02:42 PM
    Hi.

I was having the same problem so I fitted a Silicon Power T11 Thunderbolt SSD, I now boot from this.
    My iMac now boots up in around 10 seconds.
    04-10-2016 04:44 PM
    what about performance ? I don't have very good experiences about external storage
    For a device that age you should use thunderbolt not USB.
    04-10-2016 08:06 PM
    For a device that age you should use thunderbolt not USB.
    Even with TB, I found performance to be much worse than internal storage.
    04-11-2016 02:03 AM
    I think I'm leaning towards an internal drive. I really don't want to invest in an external and have an issue with the internal HDD and have to invest more.
    04-11-2016 02:51 AM
    I have the 2011 iMac, and know how you feel. Adding an internal SSD is a great idea, but I didn't wanna risk the screen or messing with the internals,
    What about finding an apple authorized shop to do the work, I don't mean an apple store because they may not be keen on the idea, but a third party place may - provided they're experienced with Apple.

I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading my iMac's storage when the time comes. Its virtually brand new and I'm really happy wiht the 2TB Fusion drive, but I figure after 3 years, the cost of higher capacity SSDs may make it worthwhile.

Personally, I doubt if I'll try this myself, so it would have to be someone who does it for a living.
    04-11-2016 06:22 AM
    I think I'm leaning towards an internal drive. I really don't want to invest in an external and have an issue with the internal HDD and have to invest more.
    On a model that makes this relatively easy, I think it's the right call.
    04-11-2016 06:59 AM
    What about finding an apple authorized shop to do the work, I don't mean an apple store because they may not be keen on the idea, but a third party place may - provided they're experienced with Apple.

I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading my iMac's storage when the time comes. Its virtually brand new and I'm really happy wiht the 2TB Fusion drive, but I figure after 3 years, the cost of higher capacity SSDs may make it worthwhile.

Personally, I doubt if I'll try this myself, so it would have to be someone who does it for a living.
    Newer iMac the screen is glued on, you'll need a putty knife/spudger of some sort to get around the edges to loosen it. That's definitely not for the faint of heart. On kevdawg86's iMac, it's a different process and not as difficult. YouTube and some of the other sites that sell upgrade tools have lots of resources to make it easier to decide if it's something you can tackle.
    04-11-2016 07:00 AM
    On kevdawg86's iMac, it's a different process and not as difficult.
    You're right, my bad on projecting the difficulty of newer iMacs onto the older model.
    04-11-2016 07:33 AM
    You're right, my bad on projecting the difficulty of newer iMacs onto the older model.
    No worries! Still something to consider with the screen
    04-11-2016 03:25 PM
    Create another user. L>go in with that user. If the problem persists, you may have hardware issues.

Look any the Activity Monitor. What are the dominant processes? SSDs are nice. Just be sure that your problem is really in your mass storage.
    04-11-2016 03:54 PM
    Create another user. L>go in with that user. If the problem persists, you may have hardware issues.

Look any the Activity Monitor. What are the dominant processes? SSDs are nice. Just be sure that your problem is really in your mass storage.
    So part of the problem was a corrupt OS. I reinstalled the OS and it sped it up quite a bit. My main issues now are slow start-up and opening programs. I've been told that a SSD would help with this. It would also help the IMac last a few extra years which is important since the church isn't able to make a huge purchase.
    04-11-2016 10:43 PM
    Thanks! I have a 500gb external Samsung EDO. But it needs drivers, so not sure....I may have to go internal. I do change cracked iPhone and iPad screens for the kids, and have been building computers since this side of forever. As long as I get the tools I can manage this. I just don't want the hassle if I can avoid it
    04-12-2016 04:10 AM
    They are 7200 platters in the 2011. They went to the 5400 with the fusion drive in late 2012.
    They are always 5400 RPM, even a new one, today if its the 21.5" iMac. Only the 27" model uses 7200 RPM.

This clips shows it. go to apple.com and look at specs.
    Slow 2011 imac-imac-5400.jpg
    04-12-2016 11:10 PM
    27" specs on apple.com

Slow 2011 imac-27-7200rpm.jpg
    04-12-2016 11:12 PM
    They are always 5400 RPM, even a new one, today if its the 21.5" iMac. Only the 27" model uses 7200 RPM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imac 5400.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	105137
    The OP posted they had a 2011 27" iMac which is what my response was based on. That and the fact I owned the same iMac. The platter speed was 7200.
    kevdawg86 likes this.
    04-13-2016 12:04 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imac 5400.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	105137
    My imac is a 27" model.
    firedept10 likes this.
    04-13-2016 02:37 AM
65 123